Critique my coop?

We don't know what we're doing with the nesting boxes yet! Original plan was to pop them out below the larger window on the short side but we were hoping there might be enough space to have them inside the coop to save the hassle of trying to attach things. This whole process has been a learning experience on construction...

We just used milk crates and built a platform for those.

We don't know what we're doing with the nesting boxes yet! Original plan was to pop them out below the larger window on the short side but we were hoping there might be enough space to have them inside the coop to save the hassle of trying to attach things. This whole process has been a learning experience on construction...

As the coop is not huge do a bump out they are pretty simple I have them on both the smaller coops

For 5 birds 2 nest boxes would do. To save floor space you can elevate them a bit (like attach them to a wall a foot up) or honestly you probably have enough wiggle room to just put them right at floor level internally if you want.

For ventilation, the windows are nice and I'm glad to see a big one but yes I'd consider putting some openings on the other walls as well, as long as they're not facing your prevailing storm direction (or you could cover them with louvered vents to keep rain out). Since there's no roof yet, I'll add that a nice big overhang would also help keep rain out of windows without the need for louvered vents all over the place.

Everything looks ok....except ....there is no roof overhang on the coop.
So you have no protection for your ventilation, and rain could leak in around of the edge of the roof you do have on there.
Maybe roof is not done yet?

Everything looks ok....except ....there is no roof overhang on the coop.
So you have no protection for your ventilation, and rain could leak in around of the edge of the roof you do have on there.
Maybe roof is not done yet?

Yeah we haven't put the roof on yet, we have corrugated metal panels and there will be a 10 inch overhang over the windows We wanted to paint and get the hardware cloth nailed in before we put the panels on.

This is the first time and husband and I have ever built anything other than ikea furniture! So i'm pretty happy with how it's turning out but I'd love to know peoples thoughts on ventilation. So we have two widows on the "sides" but nothing so far on the front and back of the coop. Should we add more windows? Drill some holes in the front? Thoughts appreciated!

View attachment 1849830 View attachment 1849831 View attachment 1849827
Looks good and I wouldn't add any more windows. If you feel more ventilation is necessary just get vents from Home Depot and put those in. ;)

vent from inside coop small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom