Crocheted Catnip Cat Toys market research

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I'm making this thread before I forget, but I am going to be working on starting up an Etsy shop that sells hand made crocheted cat toys that are filled with catnip. There will be several options:
Fish:
IMG-0920.jpg

Mice:
Large-pink-mouse.jpg

Octopus (This is not my picture, and is instead from the pattern that I am working off of. The pattern creator gives permission for selling things made with the pattern if they are given credit)
1611174609544.png

For cat toys, I WILL NOT be using safety eyes, and instead will be using embroidery floss to put small eyes on my fish, octopi, and jellyfish.
There is also a jellyfish that I do not have a picture of, but it is made from the octopus pattern and long tentacles are added.
These will be made with Lion Brand Anti Pilling Acrylic Yarn and filled with catnip, using Loops and Threads Classic Fiber Fill Stuffing to cap off the ends and keep all catnip inside.
Each one will be offered in all colors of the rainbow (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple) I will put a link to the Etsy shop when it is up and running.
I am not completely sure of pricing yet, as I need to figure out how much it costs to make one cat toy, and how much time I spend. The larger ones like the fish and jellyfish will probably be somewhere from $7-$11, and the smaller ones will probably be somewhere from $5-$8.

I am trying to figure out interest in each of these so I can figure out how many to make before opening the shop. If you'd be interested, either actually interested or theoretically interested, please reply to the thread with this:
Would you be interested in buying one of these?

Why or why not?

If you would, which type would you be most interested in? Which color?

Thank you for your time!

I’m an avid crocheter, and I haven’t had cats in a while, but previously I found that they get their claws stuck in yarn items easily once it’s a bit frayed. I think they’re incredibly cute, and a great idea, but I would look into types of yarn less likely to fray when clawed. If you have cats, maybe try making some with cotton yarn, like you use for wash cloths, or hemp, which is more rough, but holds up pretty well. Let your cats split test them and see what holds up well.

Adding low cost perceived value also helps, like a free loop and string or rubber band to hang it from a stick or doorknob, little catnip refills you can roll them in, or just something cheap you can add that sets you apart.

Good luck, I salute your entrepreneurial spirit!

Last edited:
How big are they?
Is the mouse round?
The mouse is pretty much a ball, but the nose tapers off into a point. It is not a teardrop shape like most other mouse patterns. I should have taken better pictures.
The fish is roughly 5 inches from the start of the body to the end of the tail.
The mouse body is roughly 2 1/4 inches, but the tail is another 2.75inches making the whole thing 5 inches long. The octopus is roughly two inches wide by two inches high, and the jellyfish body is that size as well. The jellyfish tentacles are 6-7 inches long.

I’m an avid crocheter, and I haven’t had cats in a while, but previously I found that they get their claws stuck in yarn items easily once it’s a bit frayed. I think they’re incredibly cute, and a great idea, but I would look into types of yarn less likely to fray when clawed. If you have cats, maybe try making some with cotton yarn, like you use for wash cloths, or hemp, which is more rough, but holds up pretty well. Let your cats split test them and see what holds up well.

Adding low cost perceived value also helps, like a free loop and string or rubber band to hand it from a stick or doorknob, little catnip refills you can roll them in, or just something cheap you can add that sets you apart.

Good luck, I salute your entrepreneurial spirit!
I do have (a) cat and he hasn't had issues with his yet. I was looking at acrylic because it's very inexpensive, but I will look into hemp and cotton yarn.

What do you mean by 'low cost perceived value'? I do like the idea of the hanging thing.

I do have (a) cat and he hasn't had issues with his yet. I was looking at acrylic because it's very inexpensive, but I will look into hemp and cotton yarn.

What do you mean by 'low cost perceived value'? I do like the idea of the hanging thing.
Just something you can add that costs you very little, but someone would see a lot of value in. Like a bit of extra catnip, a string or rubber length to hang them, just something that someone could get from you that they would want, but wouldn’t want to have to go out and buy, so they’re grateful you sent it.

you can also consider themed items, for example, Minecraft is very easy to freehand. A squid or a ghast, with their hanging tentacles would make an effective toy, and being all cubes, they’re easy to free hand without a pattern. Emojis, lego etc, they’re all pretty eye catching, and easy to find patterns or make them up yourself. I made a friend a baby blanket that was supposed to have little crocheted duckies on it, but I crocheted little hello kitty heads instead, and she was over the moon! Such a simple change can make a big difference sometimes.

For cheap yarns, the cotton ones as well as others come out in holiday collections every year, and half of those end up in bargain bins in joanns, michaels, etc, by January. Christmas often has whites, reds, greens, silver, that can easily be used for other projects.

Easter too.

For cheap yarns, the cotton ones as well as others come out in holiday collections every year, and half of those end up in bargain bins in joanns, michaels, etc, by January. Christmas often has whites, reds, greens, silver, that can easily be used for other projects.

Easter too.
Yes, but I want to be able to consistently get the same color throughout the year to keep up stock.

Yes, but I want to be able to consistently get the same color throughout the year to keep up stock.
I literally bought an entire cart of sparkly white cotton yarn for .67 cents per roll, I have a 110 quart bin stuffed full of it in my attic somewhere, one day I plan to use it lol (there’s probably squirrels living in it) You never know what you’ll find at joanns haha.

Just something you can add that costs you very little, but someone would see a lot of value in. Like a bit of extra catnip, a string or rubber length to hang them, just something that someone could get from you that they would want, but wouldn’t want to have to go out and buy, so they’re grateful you sent it.

you can also consider themed items, for example, Minecraft is very easy to freehand. A squid or a ghast, with their hanging tentacles would make an effective toy, and being all cubes, they’re easy to free hand without a pattern. Emojis, lego etc, they’re all pretty eye catching, and easy to find patterns or make them up yourself. I made a friend a baby blanket that was supposed to have little crocheted duckies on it, but I crocheted little hello kitty heads instead, and she was over the moon! Such a simple change can make a big difference sometimes.
I forgot to reply to this, but I LOVE the idea of doing minecraft block ones!

Back
Top Bottom