Crockpot kept on "warm" for water heater?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KayP, Dec 23, 2010.

1. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Has anyone tried this? I'm just terrified of burning the coop down!

2. peachlover

peachlover Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    If they are older than six weeks old they do not need added heat. Merry Christmas

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I wouldn't try it. Typical crockpots have low and high settings which range from 200-300 degrees. Those with warm settings would keep food warm at 150-170 degrees. Obviously too hot for drinking water and a possible fire hazard. Not to mention it would cost a fortune if continually on. Just search this site for water heaters and you'll find some interesting ideas that are much safer.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have hung a space heater from the ceiling in my insulated hen house. The heater has a setting that it kicks on only at temperatures below 32 degrees. Once the air temperature rises, it kicks off again. Because my coop is insulated it stays pretty cozy -- between 35 and 40 degrees -- hence the waterer doesn't freeze. I feel this solution is really safe and comfortable for them.

Can something go wrong -- something can always go wrong -- but I feel I've taken the best precautions I can. This space heater was on sale at a hardware store for $20.00.

Jenny

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    I wouldn't do it--way too hot for chicks. We just keep our chick waterers close to the heat lamp and it stays unthawed.

On another note, hello neighbor!! [​IMG] I live in MD as well!!! [​IMG]

6. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I think it would be too warm.

7. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    OK. It's pretty unanimous out there that a crock pot isn't a great idea. I think I'll try a cookie tin rig up eventually. Thanks, y'all!

8. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I love:D love [​IMG] my electric dog bowls, one is inside the coop and the other outside. They hold 1.5 ga water and do great!!
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by