Crooked beak? Cross beak? Neither?

If she is currently eating/drinking on her own, gaining weight and keeping up with the chicks her age, then I wouldn't be too concerned.

You mention that you have read that some may have trouble eating on their own. Chicks with Cross-Beak/Scissor Beak can have troubles - this is where the upper and lower beaks do not align and it is difficult for them to pick up food.

Here is what cross/scissor beak look like:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it.html

If she is currently eating/drinking on her own, gaining weight and keeping up with the chicks her age, then I wouldn't be too concerned.

You mention that you have read that some may have trouble eating on their own. Chicks with Cross-Beak/Scissor Beak can have troubles - this is where the upper and lower beaks do not align and it is difficult for them to pick up food.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it.html

I've only had her a day so far. She's eating and drinking. I did see her trying to pick up a single crumb of food and without success. Her beak doesn't look like those in the pictures of cross beak. More like instead of being straight both top/bottom are aligned just shifted to the right.

Well at least now I have some insight. After trying to google crooked beak all I would get is cross-beak which doesn't look like what I'm experiencing. She's a sweet chick, and my daughter thinks the beak gives her character. Is there any reason to believe she may not make it because if this? I've read somewhere that they have a hard time eating on their own....?

Thank you for responding. So far this is the most helpful information I've received.
I think it would be individual based. If she was hatched like this, and that sounds like the case...this may never get worse and she may very well live a long life, no different than a chick with a crooked toe. The poultry vitamins are more of a fail safe to help ensure there is no further progression...and so she is as healthy as she can be.:)

I'd also like to add because I just had a thought...maybe development in the egg made it tight and put pressure on her face. If that is the case...her face could straighten as she grows. It's not uncommon for big calves or twin calves to be born with tightened pastern issues or slightly askew faces because there wasn't enough room. These straighten over time sometimes on it's own and sometimes with a bit of physical therapy from the farmer...lol.

Also the right eye tends to be shut most of the time. The beak bends to the right could this be the cause?
That's hard to say. You can try Brucifer's idea about checking for blindness. If she keeps it closed a lot...you may also want to keep track to make sure her eye doesn't develop issues, like infection. That's highly unlikely, but it never hurts to keep an watch on it.

Last edited:

LOL

Just keep watch on her, feel her crop when she goes to sleep at night, it should be full.
She may have been just picking at the piece of food as well - they do pick/drop/pick, etc.

If you see that she is having trouble, offer the chick starter wet for a while to see if that makes a difference.
X2 on the above posts. :goodpost: I don't think she should have any issues.
The girl in my pic didn't have any eating issues. Your chick is young. She's maybe still getting the hang of it. Perhaps she was with other chicks that were more aggressive. The other birds tended to bully my little girl.

Back
Top Bottom