Crooked beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TherryChicken, Nov 15, 2012.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    I have a BO chick that's 1 month and 5 days old. I bought it from someone along with 2 others. It came and they all looked fine, BUT as this one chick grew it's beak began to grow crooked. The bottom beak is where it should be, but the top grows crooked. The more it gets older, the more it seems to get crooked. So far she is STILL the fatest one in the group, but will this cause any harm later in life? She's my fave out the others as she's more pet friendly.

2. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    It is something that she can 9 times out of 10 live with. I got a few hens about a month ago with one crossed beak girl in the group. She was a little skinny when I got her but she has fattened up since then. She is actually really bossy and beats up my cockerels! I would just keep an extra eye on her to make sure she is getting food and water. I don't think she will need assistants but always good to be aware :). Also! If you ever want to hatch chicks do not use her. It is something she can pass off to her offspring and it's good to have someone who is responsible and takes action not to breed crossed beak birds so the deformity is not passed on to others :).

Here are some pictures of my girls cross beak. She is roughly 14 months old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Oh wow, I'm just curious how they can eat if they can't grip it well cause of their beak? I'm going to get pics of my BO later today. They are just going to be used for eggs :). No breeding. BTW very pretty girl you have!

4. dracoe19

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    Usually they learn to scoop their food up with the bottom of their beaks. Can't wait to see some pictures :). Thank you! She looks so angry in these photos :p.

5. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Lol yeah she doesn't look thrilled, but she sure is pretty! Oh and yeah that makes scense

6. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Here are picks of my BO chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She is such a sweet heart LOVE her, not even a strugger when gently layed to her back or forced, she just lays there.
    We have named her Bonny

7. dracoe19

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    What a cutie! I'm sure she will do just fine in your loving care :)

8. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Aww Thank You! I LOVE this girl, just love the breed!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by