crooked Beak???

scooby

Songster
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
sevier valley,utah
my americuana, has a crooked beak and does not fully close completly. i know she can eat well because she's made it this far (5 weeks).but last night we put the chickies into the tub for there treat of crickets, and we didnt see her get not one before the others gobbled them up so then we threw some mealworms into the tub and the others again gobbled them up before she could get any and so then my hubby gave some directly to americus and she took them and took off but then the others came and stole them. so we took all the others out and put them into the box and left her in there alone and threw in a worm and thats when we noticed that she was pecking at it but more then not was just off and missed it. and then she started acting like she couldnt see it and we would have to move it for her to notice where it was and she would peck at it and miss it some more.so im wondering, is the reason her aim is off beacuse of the crooked beak, does it sound like she might have sight problems? do these two things go together? she is also very skitish, maybe due to poor sight??? am i being over concerned??? i just feel so bad for her, shes missing out on all the treats!!!

Aww...poor girl. Do you have any pictures so we can see the beak? I have had a couple chicks with this, but they never survived for more than a couple weeks. As they grow, their beaks usually grow more crooked and then they basically starve/dehydrate.
sad.png
I hate to tell you that and I really do hope it works out for her. That's just been my experience. Were they shipped eggs or did you buy them as chicks or did you hatch them from your own? The only time I've had crossed/crooked beak was from a batch of shipped eggs. I think they were x-rayed or something. It was SO weird and SO sad! Anyhow, please keep us posted. You may want to seperate her with a calm chick so she has a friend and more of a chance to get food. It sounds like the others aren't even giving her a chance. Maybe make her a mash out of the food, so it's easier for her to grab the food and hold in her mouth. Poor thing. Again, keep us posted.
smile.png

I have a Silkie roo that has a crossed beak. I think this breed must be prone to it as I have had so many others tell me about having one.
He is a grand fella and I have only had him a few months. I believe he may be 6 months old.
He is getting worse even though we do all we can on trimming and shaping his beak. It's quite a job each week and he simply hates it.
I always make sure he gets his fair share of all the food and treats. He does seem to have more trouble seeing but I am not sure if that is really the case. I mix a special mush up for him every day and after he eats all the good stuff I make sure he gets some nice treats.
He loves applesauce! He's totally a mess afterwards but his buddies help clean him off afterwards as that is the only way they get any of his treats!
He will flay any other chicken that gets near "his" flock and is quite the handsome fella. I know he won't live as long as the other chickens but as long as he lives here he will be well loved and taken care of with his special needs. I don't see him as a hindrance, more like a learning experience.
And guess his name?
Crossbeak.
big_smile.png

I've got a cochin banty with a crossed beak. She has trouble picking up things that are on hard surfaces. Plus, because my 3 others are standards, she often loses goodies to them. I either distract the 3 bigger girls or pick up little Tribble and feed her on my lap.
0809081601.jpg

ETA: I've found that I have to trim Tribble's beak every once in a while. I use fingernail clippers and a file.

Last edited:
I have a 3 1/2 week old araucana from McMurray Hatchery with a crossed beak. It usually has a very full crop and is able to drink water, it does spend a good deal more time each day eating than some of the others, but it may just be it's personality as it scratches like mad all day too. I noticed the cross a few days after we got them, but as it has grown the crossing has indeed gotten worse. Fortunately it does seem to be growing just fine and at the same pace as the others. Most people I have spoken with about it say to just cull it as I don't know if it is genetics or just an incubation problem. I personally think that as long as it is eating, drinking growing and not suffering, leave it be. Ive not attempted any type of trimming because I don't think it would work with the deformation being what it is, besides that I have heard that it is really painful for the bird.

Here is a pic of my chick for reference

15356_img_0703.jpg

Quote:
Awwww...yeah, I absolutely agree with you...as long as it's eating and drinking...just make sure it's getting enough, as the other chicks and chickens around it tend to gobble down the food as fast as could be, often leaving the crooked beak one with a few scraps. Yeah, I wouldn't trim it either...it's not that kind of deformation. Thanks for sharing!

When we first got her(we got her from meyers) there didnt appear to be anything wrong with her she was completely normal it wasnt untill she was about maybe 3-4 weeks old that i noticed her beak was going crooked but i had heard that it wasnt uncommon and i figured she was fine. and then i started to take notice when we put them in the tub for treat time, that it looked like it was affecting her.and it still is, i have since started putting them in there run during the day and i go out and throw them dead meal worms and she still has a hard time getting any.she does eat the feed though, alot and water. since i first noticed it,it has gotten worse. So does it just get worse and worse till they die? and what do you guys mean buy clipping and sharpening it? what do you do and why?so what should i do? and does meyers comp for chicks like this? i got 4 of them and paid a good amount of money for them,(4 for $60).
12541_ameri-5week.jpg

these arn't the greatest of pics.....its hard to see.....sorry!!

12541_5week4.jpg

this one is a little better view.....in this one you can see it doesnt completely shut in the mid section....

Well, regardless of their outcome, they have great parents to be so caring of their 'special needs'

smile.png

one of my australorps ('the noisy one' ) just didnt like bugs or anything and most all the treats would go to the other chicken. Her bug liking kicked in after about 5 months and now she is bigger than the other one.

WELL SHE TRIES REAL HARD TO GET THE CRICKETS AND MEAL WORMS I GIVE THEM BUT THE OTHERS JUST SNAG THEM FROM HER SO QUIKLY THAT SHE DOESNT HAVE TIME TO EAT THEM, AND EVEN WHEN WE GIVE THEM DIRECTLY TO HER SHE CAN'T SEEM TO HOLD ON TO THEM AND GET THEM DOWN.. SO I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT ITS BECAUSE OF HER BEAK. SHE ALSO GETS STUFF STUCK ON HER BEAK WAY MORE THEN THE OTHERS SHES CONSTANTLY WIPING IT OFF.

I have a girl with the same issue. She's now almost 16 weeks and doing fine. Though not able to manage some treats (like mealworms, etc.) I make sure to put out a dish of sunflower seeds that is deep enough for her to scoop some out of. This way she is sure to get some high protein treats. She also does fine with yogurt. Longer leafed greens, fruit, are all easy for her to deal with. I know she misses out on some things, but she's a happy-go-lucky chicken anyway.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom