Crooked chicken feet

Mr Clean Kansas

Chirping
Apr 6, 2019
I've raised chicken for years. I have had chickens with deformed feet and deformities. I have a pen of girls that include 2 orpingtons, 2 Rhode Island reds, 2 barred rocks and 2 new Hampshires. I noticed an orp that had crooked toes one morning like the photo. The next day they were perfectly straight again. A couple day later a barred rock did the same. Then a couple days later hers were straight.. Yesterday a Rhode Island red had the same thing. This photo is from yesterday. Anyone know what's going on.

Attachments

• 20210806_123433.jpg
    20210806_123433.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 17
Probably looking at them when they have their toes bent. If the toes are going back straight, it's just the way they are standing when you are looking at them.
That's not it. They are walking on the sides of their feet and will occasionally hold 1 foot up in a very tight clench. It is almost like they are having cramps or some type of spasm. It is not just when they are standing. They dont seen to be in any distress and this has been happening for about a month. These are 22 week old pullets. I believe I called them hens in my original post.

I'm not sure what's going on then.
What do you feed?
Could be vitamin B2(Riboflavin) deficiency. Just a guess.

Can you get a video of them doing that?
I will try to grab video. I have been thinking some type of deficiency is the culprit. My feed is a custom blend I have been using since I was in college in the 80s. I worked in the poultry science research lab at Kansas State University. Over the last year or so I have switched from traditional water founts to nipple waterers. I seems as if they birds don't use near the amount of water from these as the fonts. I was thinking that maybe it is possibly a dehydration problem. They may not drink as much from the nipples, maybe? I know in the hot Kansas summers when I don't stay hydrated I have leg and feet cramps. I know humans and fowl have different physiologies, just a theory. My cousin, Dr. Jeffery Wells, is vice president of the National Audubon Society and a fellow at The Cornell lab of ornithology. This is something that has not been studied in domestic fowl as far as I know. I might add extra salt to my feed. Really just trying to figure out if the problem is environmental or genetic. I have basically ruled out genetic because it has occurred in multiple breeds. I started adding electrolytes to my water also. I am putting this out there in hopes of finding someone else that may have seem this malady and we might be able to compare notes.. Thank you for any thoughts

Back
Top Bottom