Crooked neck bantam rooster! Help please!

Bryntee

Songster
7 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Wisconsin
Two days ago I noticed my one year old bantam rooster flop himself backwards and flopping around. I brought him in the house and in my spare bathroom. Well now he's got a crooked neck. He chirps and talks just fine but just hangs his head low. I'm not sure what to do! :( we have no local vets that care for birds. I noticed also when I open his beak he has sticky mucous in it. :(

Last edited:
So I thought he was getting better but now I believe he has an ear infection :( his one ear is crusted over. I cleared it out so it is open now but he is very uncoordinated still. What should I do about an ear infection?

So I thought he was getting better but now I believe he has an ear infection
sad.png
his one ear is crusted over. I cleared it out so it is open now but he is very uncoordinated still. What should I do about an ear infection?
I didn't even think about the ears
he.gif

Do you have a photo of that?

@dawg53 says it much better than I can ::
"""If it's bacterial; lay your rooster on his side and snugly wrap a towel around him, and lay him on one side on a table. Use an eyedropperful of hydrogen peroxide to loosen and boil up gunk/debris in his ear. Then use a q-tip to slowly and gently clean out his ear. You will have remove some of the cotton on the tip of the q-tip in order for it to fit inside his ear canal. Do NOT put the q-tip deep into the ear canal. The hydrogen peroxide will have released and lifted most of the gunk making it easy for you to swab the ear canal. Use as many q-tips as necessary to clean the ear canal. Next, use Neosporin ointment to fill the ear canal, simply put the tip of the tube into the ear canal and squeeze it until the ear canal is filled with the ointment. Then flip him over and get to work on his other ear, same procedure. If ear mites are involved, the Neosporin ointment will smother them to death. Once you release your rooster, he might shake his head for awhile, this is normal. You will most likely have to repeat the ear cleaning 2 or 3 times a year. You can give him tylan 50 injectable orally; 1/2cc once a day for 5 days but no more than 7 days."""

REFERENCE POST: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/919235/ear-infection-in-rooster (POST#3 by @dawg53 )

Hope that helps.

this is the crusty ear that is always pointed down. Every time I turn his head up to get a picture he starts breathing funny and bubbles at the mouth.

Back
Top Bottom