Crooked neck duck. Need help

ducks14

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Tn
I got this baby "call duck" at co op.My daughter wasn't leaving without it because it had a crook in its neck. I have rescues, I have fixed more ailments from this sight. Thank you!! This has got me. Can't fix it. She is not a call duck, two weeks old and bigger than a call already. She seems to be growing very well, except for the crook in her neck. She walks, eats, runs normal, but can't swim. Her feed is dumor chick starter.

First week
Brewers yeast
Poly vi sol without iron two droppers
Second week
Brewers yeast ,Poly x2 , 50mg selenium, vitamin e 400, niacin 3 of the days 100 mg in water
The last three days her eyes have been draining and the drainage turns hard on her face. Her head is literally in the side not dropped down and she doesn't flip over. Anything anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try and put a picture on.

I got this baby "call duck" at co op.My daughter wasn't leaving without it because it had a crook in its neck. I have rescues, I have fixed more ailments from this sight. Thank you!! This has got me. Can't fix it. She is not a call duck, two weeks old and bigger than a call already. She seems to be growing very well, except for the crook in her neck. She walks, eats, runs normal, but can't swim. Her feed is dumor chick starter.
First week
Brewers yeast
Poly vi sol without iron two droppers
Second week
Brewers yeast ,Poly x2 , 50mg selenium, vitamin e 400, niacin 3 of the days 100 mg in water
The last three days her eyes have been draining and the drainage turns hard on her face. Her head is literally in the side not dropped down and she doesn't flip over. Anything anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try and put a picture on.
Looks like your doing everything right, maybe it's a birth defect. I can see where her balance would be off for swimming. just keep it up and maybe it will straighten out as time goes by at least straighten where she could swim, great you got her I bet she would have eventually be put down. Adorable duckling, does it appear to be in pain at all?

None what so ever. Her eyes draining is getting worse. No change at all since the day I started. I just assumed she would straighten up fast. I'm just gonna keep going. I read something about prednisone. Do you know anything about that? I'm so attached to her now I would do just about anything. I also read about a splint of some sort. Not alot of info for splinting tho. Scared to do it.

If she can dip her head in water to help clear her eyes you could try apple cider vinegar 1TBSP/gallon. I have used that very successfully for eye problems. I would stay away from prednisone unless prescribed by a vet -- it has a lot of side effects.

If she can dip her head in water to help clear her eyes you could try apple cider vinegar 1TBSP/gallon. I have used that very successfully for eye problems. I would stay away from prednisone unless prescribed by a vet -- it has a lot of side effects.
There is a member who used it on her duckling who was having some issues, [crested] and it sure helped alot. jenniemig is her BYC name if you'd like to send her a PM.

But yes ACV is excellent for eye trouble. and also good for them to drink great tonic. like Nyssa03 said she needs a deep something bowl pot buicket she can really wash out her eyes and nares. Here is her thread about Qwackers and her use of the predinsone https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/857143/treating-wry-neck-in-crested-duckling-edited-title

Last edited:
Please correct me if I am reading things wrong I just want to help. You wrote that you were giving him/her 2 full droppers of polyvisol, brewers yeast, and niacin at the same time? In my opinion you are using WAY too high of a dose of vitamins. Even if you're just giving that dose of Polyvisol it's too much. The average 8lb infant gets less than one dropper full. Vitamins are toxic in too high of a dose. I treated my ducklings wry neck with 4-5 drops Polyvisol without iron, 4-5 drops pediatric liquid Prednisolone, and 3 drops of Selenium twice a day. I also massaged her neck several times a day. It took 2 full weeks before I saw improvement, and 4 full weeks before I weaned off of the meds. She is 10 weeks today and just now weaning off of the vitamins.

Another things is I have to go with Miss Lydia on the birth defect suggestion. I don't think that this is wry neck. Mine started with the tilted head, then difficulty walking, then flat on her side unable to walk, eat or drink. Yours looks like she/he is getting around well, other than the swimming issue.

I agree with you about the Prednisolone, it can be risky to use.

I used it as a last resort with my ducklings wry neck without a Rx or suggested dosage from the vet. I did lots of research online and was able to figure up a dose that worked for her. One thing that I will add...I believe that my ducklings wry neck was caused by swelling in her brain not just a vitamin deficiency. She is a White Crested with a VERY large crest, her brain protrudes pretty far outside of her skull.

I have a white crested. She got bit last yr during mating season and was in her own house for a bit. She got better after two or three days. Thanks for the info. Honestly I was thinking it was alot too. Going by a post I saw on byc. She's 2 1/2 pounds. I just went with it out of desperation. I also assumed they would just run through her so fast it eoukd be ok. She never acted any different after any meds were given tho. She is growing great except neck and now as she's getting bigger, I noticed her foot on the same side as head is, is not growing properly. Other foot totally fine. What do you all think about splints?

I have a white crested. She got bit last yr during mating season and was in her own house for a bit. She got better after two or three days. Thanks for the info. Honestly I was thinking it was alot too. Going by a post I saw on byc. She's 2 1/2 pounds. I just went with it out of desperation. I also assumed they would just run through her so fast it eoukd be ok. She never acted any different after any meds were given tho. She is growing great except neck and now as she's getting bigger, I noticed her foot on the same side as head is, is not growing properly. Other foot totally fine. What do you all think about splints?
I totally read your first post wrong golly I thought you said 2 drops and you said 2 droppers. wow. Thank you jenniemig for catching that. didn't know what the dosages were for the other 2.

I understand the desperate feelings and just wanting to help our duck children;-) My treatment for mine was a little bit of one persons experience and a little from a few other then some that I made up myself.

I can't offer any advice for the splints. If you don't get any response here try posting in the emergency/injury section for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom