crooked neck

slystr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Dallas TX
Well I'm not sure what is wrong with one of my chicks. At first I thought it was an impacted crop, but now I see her neck is very crooked. SHe has perked up a bit, is no longer sleeping all the time and looking floppy. she walks and eats & poops and tries to fly if I open the lid of her brooder. But her neck looks like an S. There is a buldge I thought was her crop on the right side and on her left side she had no feathers on her neck and the base of her head. SHe still dosen't have the energy of the other chicks I have, she sleeps a lot and is smaller that tne other chicks too.
Might this be some sort of deformity rather that an illness? All the other 9 chicks are doing fine.

What breed?

And yes it can be a defect, it could also be a vitamin deficiency. I have one that has an obvious neck defect but for the most part his life is pretty normal. I do keep him on supplements to minimize his neuro problems. He's a pet and so much fun that I did not opt to put him down. For obvious reasons he will not be used for breeding.

If this turns out to be a defect and not a deficiency you should not allow this bird to produce young. But if supplementing with vitamins straightens the peep up it should be fine later.

You can find vitamin/electrolyte powder that you can mix into the water at the local feed store. I added some to my chicks' waterer by spinkling a pinch which each change.
The package will have directions.
Hope your peep recovers! Good luck.

I am not sure in this case what might have happened to have caused the crook neck ...here below is my collected information on the various causes of crookneck . I would suggest you get Avia Charge 2000 as it is a COMPLETE supplement formulated for poultry. Keep a good eye on it that the others do not peck here (they will often do this to the weak one). One possibility that I have not listed in that thread is a condition comonly called called "kinky back" and the second article is on that.
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1160928615

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/141/spondylolisthesis-kinkyback

Back
Top Bottom