Crooked tail

Thanx for that fuzzybutt love, I am researching your comments .

I am getting increasingly worried about her sibling I think it's a cockerel, his legs are very long and they are very wobbley and today he has a job to stand up he is even eating sitting down still has a very good appetite, he was leaning on me this morning when I was feeding him and now 2hours later her has a job to stand. Apart from that he I
Seems very well and alert. Please can anyone help my boy

Thanx for that fuzzybutt love, I am researching your comments .
I am getting increasingly worried about her sibling I think it's a cockerel, his legs are very long and they are very wobbley and today he has a job to stand up he is even eating sitting down still has a very good appetite, he was leaning on me this morning when I was feeding him and now 2hours later her has a job to stand. Apart from that he I
Seems very well and alert. Please can anyone help my boy
Are his legs sticking out in front and behind when he sits? if so you may want to research Mareks. Hopefully not though. Vitamin support may help, like the Poultry Nutri drench or what ever you can find close to it where you live. Could he have jump off the roost and injured himself? I had a young Brahma rooster who loved to roost on top of the door, needless to say one morning when he jumped down from that height he injured himself. Stumbled around for a few weeks before getting better. We now have taken the door down and lowered all the roost in the coop when another brahma hen jumped and injured herself.

May be a wild guess, but check into gout, too. That is also a problem that can happen with too high a protein level. That will give swollen joints, and can be made worse by a roo eating the high calcium laying formulas.

Another option for feet problems is bumblefoot, there will be a dark round scab on the bottom of his feet.
That is caused by an infected wound, and makes their foot swell badly.

I sure hope things do good for you soon ! This is the best i can do, i hope someone else sees this and can jump in too. You should post the boy's problem seperate, if you haven't already.
hugs.gif

A book i highly recommend is "the poultry health handbook" by gail damerow, it was a super help to me when i was looking for answers for my own girls. Our library here carries it.

Thankyou Fuzzybutt love

I did get him a supplement and I fed him boiled egg. That went down very well.
No sign of bumble foot, that's one to rule out.
No sign of swollen joints, no heat in them also. Don't think there is an injury that I can tell, but you never know with chickens.
Changed his feed to growers pellets, no chance of him having had any layers pellets because my girls won't touch it unfortunately (working on that one) .
I will purchase the book you recommended, I thought I was pretty clued up but obviously not.
I also put a separate post up now...

Thankyou so much for you help you are a star....

I've got a girl with a crooked tail also and she's not seeming to clean herself very well. Her wings also seem lopsided. She's eating and drinking just fine and running around with the others. I don't know of an injury but I guess that's always a possibility. Vaccinated for Marek's, on medicated feed (she's about 6 weeks) and I'm treating the whole bunch with Corrid right now because of runny poop a week or two ago which this girl had. Had to bathe her to rid her of pasty butt and then bathed her again yesterday because she's not cleaning her backside well though I do see her preen. Any thoughts folks? Her name is Truffle.

Back
Top Bottom