Crooked toe 9 week old pullet

Chermak1101

Chirping
Sep 8, 2019
Scranton, PA
C0711201-B478-47D4-8091-6BA3FAF52769.jpeg Just noticed my 9 week old lavender Orpington pullet has a crooked toe. Is there anything I can do? Or do I just name her trigger? She seems to be fine.

It can be from injury, genetics or improper incubation. I don't think there is anything a Backyarder can reasonably do to repair it to a bird that age.
I've had hens with broken toes much worse than that and they didn't have any real problems.
I didn't name them trigger. One was called Jaerhon #3 blue leg band. I don't name them.

It can be from injury, genetics or improper incubation. I don't think there is anything a Backyarder can reasonably do to repair it to a bird that age.
I've had hens with broken toes much worse than that and they didn't have any real problems.
I didn't name them trigger. One was called Jaerhon #3 blue leg band. I don't name them.

I have 9 grown all with mostly chicken dinner names they’re my babies (couldn’t ever eat them!) but trigger finger sounded too long so trigger she will be. Thanks for your input. Figured they might not be anything I could do. Got her at 2 days old along with 9 others, she’s the only one with this issue. Since it’s not “curled” I’m hoping it doesn’t bother her.

I had 2 speckled Sussex from the same hatchery, same hatch date that developed crooked toes.
No others in that group of chicks developed the issue.

Trying to straighten the toes appeared to cause pain.

Both lived long healthy happy lives with crooked toes. The scratched around and did normal chicken stuff just fine.

I did have to trim the nails on the crooked toes every couple months as they got older.

Back
Top Bottom