Crooked toe and limping Hen

KahKaDoodleDo22

Songster
May 21, 2019
Washington
Hi everyone

I have a blue ameraucana, she has been doing great till a day or two ago, she has always had a crooked toe, but only two days ago started to limp. She even stands on her “bad foot” sometimes as if she can’t even feel it. Is her toe broken or is this something else? She is 8 months. Hasn’t laid yet either. :(

Hi everyone

I have a blue ameraucana, she has been doing great till a day or two ago, she has always had a crooked toe, but only two days ago started to limp. She even stands on her “bad foot” sometimes as if she can’t even feel it. Is her toe broken or is this something else? She is 8 months. Hasn’t laid yet either. :(

Hi sorry about your hen .
I hope I can help you

Is your hen Injured like fly from heights? Or she smash her foot
My rooster once smash his finger in toe I wrap his toe with tight Bandaging and he heal within week I keep giving him multi-vitamins and eggs to heal the Injury

If it's broke. Too Bandaging is must to give relief .chickens bones heal faster

Although, Crooked toes (CT) is a skeletal disorder affecting chickens that is characterized by the curving or curling of one or more of the toes due to a deviation of the phalanges, which gives the foot a crab-like appearance. One or both feet may be affected, with severity ranging from mild to severe. If the condition is caught early on, it can often be corrected, although even without intervention, chickens with crooked toes can live normal life

Would it be possible to take a short video of your chicken walking, and post it to YouTube with a link here? Pictures of how she is looking normally might also help. Was your pullet vaccinated for Mareks disease? This time of year, is a time when a lot of young chickens may show signs of Mareks disease. Hopefully it is not that, but maybe an injury or vitamin deficiency. Riboflavin (vitamin B 2) is found in some chicken vitamins and human B complex, and can be added to the food for a couple of weeks to see if it helps. Many foods and nutritional yeast have lots of riboflavin as well. Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext...Preventing Mareks Disease in Small Flocks.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

061732FD-1433-4A1C-993A-52A4CED56183.jpeg

Here is a picture of her toe

How do I post a video? I have a few I can post. It was worse this morning, she roosted all last night but is definitely in pain which makes me think it’s a break? Or sprain? I have 25 chickens in her pen so things can get a bit rough sometimes.

If it was vitamin b would she still have pain? Can’t hurt to give her some extra vitamins so I’ll probably just do that

Also, I don’t think she was vaccinated for Merck’s. She very well could have it... she hadn’t been the strongest bird either, I have saved her twice already and she’s only 8 months. So sad.

Back
Top Bottom