Crooked toes.. Pictures added!!!

Hennypen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Pictures below..

Has anyone seen anything like this before? How can I fix it?

Two chicks out of 7 have developed one crooked toe on one foot. I'm assuming this is a vitamin problem so I've upped the vitamins for these chicks.

Will their toes straighten out or should I put band-aids on them? They are 3.5 weeks old.

Last edited:
they were perfect when they hatched. The toe curling started about a week ago in one and 2 days ago in the other. I thought one had broken a toe but then the other chick started curling as well. I'm giving poly something infant vitamin now to all chicks but wondering what I should do about the toes at this point.

Generally toes that curl inwards are caused by problems further up in the hock. Hocks that are rotated inward change the angle of the feet and will cause the toes to knuckle inward.

Last edited:
They were NOT born like this. On the really bad footed chick, it started with the outer toe on one foot and then the front toe curled.

bafc8328.jpg

01d9b9fc.jpg

Last edited:
Any idea what causes it? Has your hen had chicks and if so do they have crooked toes?

One of my baby chicks had curled toes, and I tried the band-aid "boot". A friend held her while I carefully flattened and straightened her toes, and put a thick piece of the sticky part of a waterproof bandaid on the bottom and then the top of her entire foot. I sealed the adhesive pieces btn her toes, and then trimmed the outside to the shape of her foot. She did NOT like it at all! Glad I used waterproof bandaids, b/c she kept stepping in the water dish and shaking her foot like it would help! After 9 days, I removed the boot, and her feet were flat and toes straight! Their bones are still not connected and very soft when they are that young, so it can work! Physical therapy for a baby chicken. I never would have thought that I would do that! You can look up pictures on google but it really is as easy as it sounds. Just have someone to help, and it helps to use tweezers to gently hold the toe straight while you put on the adhesive.

one of my peeps has that problem on one foot too? all three front toes?
so what causes that to happen? will the peep eventually go lame?

Quote:
If you don't correct it in time, or if it just doesn't work, don't worry. I have one with crooked toes on both feet and she does just fine. I was concerned she would have trouble roosting, but it never seemed to be a problem for her. She gets around just fine - no lameness at all. I can't tell which one is her unless I check her feet.

Back
Top Bottom