crooked toes.. steps on his own feet

LilBizzy

Chicken Storyteller
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Maryland
These are the feet of Hardy, the biggest little roosters first born, age 2 weeks old. I've noticed in the past week, 1 toe on each foot seems to be bent almost in half sideways. He runs and walks, but sometimes when walking or standing, he steps on his own feet.

Any ideas? Thats poop on the bottom of his foot- he seems to always step in the fresh stuff.

I have a roo that has two toes on one foot that curve inward. He used to step in his own toes a lot. He is now 11 months old and gets along just fine. I would not use him for breeding. I just keep him with the older hens because my other roo died.

I have heard this called "curly toes". I have repaired this by taking medical tape and placing the birds foot down on the sticky side, making sure the toes are placed as they should be, and placing another piece of tape on top and sticking them together. Then I trim it in shape with the foot. I replace the tape every few days or so because it get dirty as well as to re-place the foot on new tape to not inhibit growth. I did this for about two weeks and the little toes straightened right up.

I just have to say he (?) has adorable little legs.
lol.png
Is he a cornish?

no, he isnt a meatie. His dad was a RIR and his mom is a sexlink. I think he is going to be a he. Yes, his legs are kinda cute, in a weird looking chicken leg kina way

I had a two chicks with this problem. The vet told me it was probably a riboflavin deficiency and to give them vitamins. One chick I no longer have and the other is grown and laying eggs, still has a curled toe, but it did not get any worse after giving the vitamins.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom