crooked toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hunterblu123, Oct 3, 2010.

1. hunterblu123

hunterblu123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    SW Ohio
    I have a 3 week old RIR pullet with crooked toes. What caused this? Anything that can be done? She is eating 20% chick grower.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

might hep if you could post a picture. And hoping someone who has delt with this will help you

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    You can use pipe cleaner to make a form to straighten their toes, then use tape to swaddle the splint to the bottom of their toes. http://professorchickensdiseases.webs.com/deformities.htm for diagrams on this.

There's several varieties of crooked toes, each with their own causes - genetic, too low of temperature in the incubator/brooder, malnutrition, etc. If she's had this since hatching, that leads down one set of variables to consider. If this is new at 3 weeks, that's generally either nutrition or poor surface issues.

4. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

mine did not appear until about 8 weeks old.talked to a lady at the feed store with a masters in chicken diseases and the first thing out of her mouth was genetics.inbred 1 too many times.tends to show up as the bird gets older.mine get along fine tho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by