Crookneck, Marek's or Botulism -- please advise!

Quote:
Kelar -- I have so much -- so much! -- respect for you. After doing this for a week I know the labor of love it is, I am in awe.

I called WSU this morning and talked with the doctor and the histology report came back and she has sent me the report via mail. Gertie did have Merak's Disease, it wasn't present in all the nerves/organs (not in the liver, and another spot she mentioned) but it was found in the brain and in other spots. I will post the lab results when I get them in the mail. We talked about vaccinating the remainder of the flock and she said that it could possibly help -- research is still out on that. I am going to call the state vet now and see about vaccinating the rest of the birds. The vaccination is Serum 3 and she said Serum 1 can cause the disease to present itself in the birds that already have it but they don't use that anymore, Serum 3 will not cause the presentation of the disease (I think I am stating this correctly). I purchased all but 2 of the birds at local feed stores, I will be calling all of them to let them know. 2 were purchased from the same farm -- but earlier when our 1 bird died I contacted her about the possibility of Marek's and she said she didn't have it in her flocks. Hard to figure the source...doesn't matter too much I guess. We have it -- and now we have to deal with it.

I really admire the way you took charge of a bad situation and got some answers. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and especially for following up with the test results. The information on the different vaccine serums is very enlightening. I like to hear how the vaccinations are handled, specifically how you acquire the vaccine, cost, and outcome. The studies showing that the vaccine can help to prevent the T-cell growth in infected birds has been very promising. Hoping that you have good results with that for the remainder of your flock.

How's the condition of your Australorp? Did the Vet think that the vaccine might be able to help a bird already exhibiting symptoms?

Last edited:
I have a young brahama chick that has been crippled for 6 weeks now and is finally showing signs of improvement:clap. She is walking on her elbows but none the less walking. At her worst, she was lying on her side and had no control over her legs. I made sure she always had water and food. Vitamins in the water. Took her outside for the first time yesterday. She hobbled around picking at grass and bugs.
She may always be crippled so I guess I will have to make a seperate pen for her when she is well enough to be outside all the time.
I have several other chickens and none of them got sick when she did so I don't know if this was Marek's or Botulism.

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom