1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crop Bound

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BonshawPoultry, Apr 7, 2016.

1. BonshawPoultry

BonshawPoultry Just Hatched

Apr 7, 2016
    Taupo, New Zealand
    I have had my Hyline Brown Chooks for about 3 weeks and one got Crop Bound (Impacted Crop). I contacted the man I got the Hens from and he came out to have a look.
    He was very helpful and said that it was the long grass in their enclosure that was getting stuck in the Crop and fermenting. He held the hen upside down and squeezed the huge crop (none to gently!!) and the poor hen puked up heaps of junk.

Does anyone have a cure?

Thanks.

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

I'd suggest searching for "impacted crop" in the search box and seeing what pops up - there will be lots of tips, I'm sure.

All the best
    CT

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hi and Welcome to BYC.

So sorry about your problem. There are articles in the Learning Center that give specific help.

It may be the "vomiting" of the grass may save that one - hope she is doing better.

But do take care of the too long grass issue ASAP- it is recommended not to let them have access to grasses longer than 2-3 inches.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Long blades of grass and similar items (vines, etc) can cause a lot of grief. Goats can handle it, chickens not. Chickens also pick up shiny things that are not mean to be swallowed, staples, nails, bolts, paper clips, etc. etc. If you do any remodeling etc. please check to see things are picked up and properly disposed. Chickens are like little kids, everything goes in their mouth.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by