Crop Feeding Sick Hen, Losing Wt, Slow Crop, Liquid from Beak, Wiggling Neck

Pics
Well...it's been a long time since I originally posted, but I wanted to give one final update on Cha Cha. I've gathered so much useful information over the years on BYC, it's only right to complete this journey. Maybe someone else can benefit from the experience. Thank you again to all who responded to my post with knowledge and support.

Cha Cha was not improving, so euthanasia was the best option for her in the end. I was able to take her to UC Davis for a necropsy. Their diagnosis was ovarian cancer that spread and caused a stricture in her digestive tract. I learned along the way that hens that are bred for high egg production, like she was, are susceptible to this type of cancer.

She was a great hen with a lot of personality. I was able to enjoy her for 7 years. I still miss her.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry that you lost her but thanks for the update.
Yes it is sad that high production birds pay a price for that intensive breeding but at 7 years old your girl was probably one of the luckier ones. Many succumb to reproductive disorders by 3yrs old.
At least you know with the diagnosis of cancer that there was nothing more you could have done to help her, so hopefully that gives you some closure and peace of mind. :hugs

Well...it's been a long time since I originally posted, but I wanted to give one final update on Cha Cha. I've gathered so much useful information over the years on BYC, it's only right to complete this journey. Maybe someone else can benefit from the experience. Thank you again to all who responded to my post with knowledge and support.

Cha Cha was not improving, so euthanasia was the best option for her in the end. I was able to take her to UC Davis for a necropsy. Their diagnosis was ovarian cancer that spread and caused a stricture in her digestive tract. I learned along the way that hens that are bred for high egg production, like she was, are susceptible to this type of cancer.

She was a great hen with a lot of personality. I was able to enjoy her for 7 years. I still miss her.
Thank you for sharing.

I'm sorry for your loss:hugs
Thank you for taking the time to update your thread.

I'm so sorry that you lost her but thanks for the update.
Yes it is sad that high production birds pay a price for that intensive breeding but at 7 years old your girl was probably one of the luckier ones. Many succumb to reproductive disorders by 3yrs old.
At least you know with the diagnosis of cancer that there was nothing more you could have done to help her, so hopefully that gives you some closure and peace of mind. :hugs
Thank you for your kind words. I do try to look at my experience with her that way.

Back
Top Bottom