Crop full of air. Can no-crow collar cause this?

nurseemi

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2015
About a week ago, we got a no- crow collar for our sweet roo. Now I've noticed his crop is HUGE, like a balloon! I took the collar off straight away and kinda massaged his crop a little. Heaps of air came out of his mouth. His crop is considerably smaller now. He didn't seem affected at all even with the big balloon crop he was happily eating and making other chicken noises.

Is this a common thing that happens with the collars? Does it mean I put it on too tight? He didn't seem bothered by the collar when it was on. I've left it off for today though.

I dont know if it can cause the problem you stated but i have heard alot of negative results with no crow collars were i would not try it. I whether deal a loud rooster or get rid of him then use one. I have heard of eating problems and choking and breathing problems. So i say if it doesnt happen again when he doesnt have the colar on then it was possible it was a result of the collar

Thanks so much for your reply. I can't have roo's where we live but I really want to keep him :'(
On closer inspection, his little breastbone is so much more prominent than it was just last week. He's such a beautiful boy, I've raised him from day old so he never complains! Poor little mite. I feel awful now that I didn't even realize. He looked like he was still doing everything he was supposed to. Eating/drinking/making chicken noises. He wasn't gasping or shaking his head. The collar didn't bother him at all.

I dont know much about them but from what i have read. I know some have no problem with them and others do. Its from what i seen the long term use that tends to do the damage. I would see if you might be able to find him a home were he can crow. But like i said i am aint collar type of person so take what i say with a grain of salt there are those who have used them with no problem whether they were just blessed i dont know but i am not comfortable with it.

Thanks so much for your reply. I can't have roo's where we live but I really want to keep him :'(
On closer inspection, his little breastbone is so much more prominent than it was just last week. He's such a beautiful boy, I've raised him from day old so he never complains! Poor little mite. I feel awful now that I didn't even realize. He looked like he was still doing everything he was supposed to. Eating/drinking/making chicken noises. He wasn't gasping or shaking his head. The collar didn't bother him at all.

You might want to get a baseline weight on him and then weigh him every other day to make sure he's not losing more weight.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom