Crop issue...and I'm about to leave on a trip

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
One of my 3 1/2 month old cockerels is acting lethargic. It is morning and he hasn't eaten anything yet. I picked him up and his crop is full and hard. I think the texture of his crop could be considered "gritty" but I'm not sure, it could also just be the skin/feather texture. I have been offering them grit every three days or so, but apparently that wasn't enough.

I don't know much about crop issues. Is this impacted crop, sour crop, or something else? ETA I'm thinking impacted?

I put him in a separate cage with water and no food. Should I give him grit? I heard coconut oil helps? What else can I do?

Here's the big problem. I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow afternoon and I won't be back until Sunday evening or Monday afternoon. Can this be fixed before then?

Last edited:
I have been offering them grit every three days or so, but apparently that wasn't enough.
What do you mean you've been offering grit every three days?
Just place it in their coop/run and let them take what they need.

A crop that is full and hard, start with the coconut oil and go from there.
The lethargy is concerning, make sure he's drinking.

This article will walk you through determining what treatment(s) are needed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It could possibly be fixed, depending on how severe it is.
Can you compare the size of the crop to a golf ball or tennis ball or something similar?
since it feels gritty I would assume impacted crop.
I can give advice but I would also like to tag @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
Umm, not a big ball player. I think it's between a gold and tennis ball.

What do you mean you've been offering grit every three days?
Just place it in their coop/run and let them take what they need.

A crop that is full and hard, start with the coconut oil and go from there.
The lethargy is concerning, make sure he's drinking.

This article will walk you through determining what treatment(s) are needed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Every three days I toss several handfuls of grit into their area that they can peck at whenever they want. As of yet I have not found a bowl to offer them free choice because they always tip it over. :idunno
I just gave him some coconut oil. I saw him drink about an hour ago, not sure how much he has drank since then. Thanks for the link!

I usually recommend the article from azygous above for crop problems. What exactly do you feed? Is he on a commercial chicken crumble or pellet? Do you give other foods?
He eats a whole grain mix (with other supplements) from Big D Ranch. I'm not sure if that can be considered a commercial mix or not, but I have been feeding this for over a year now. High quality. And yes, they do get scraps.

So by the time we were ready to leave, his crop was still the same size and he hadn't pooped out anything in over 24 hours. I'm assuming it was crop blockage instead of impacted crop? I'm not set up to do a surgery. We had to cull him.

Thank you guys all so much for the help! I'll know what to do better next time!

Back
Top Bottom