? crop issue, fluid coming out

tammye

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
NH
my two year old BO has become quite, eating less and seems to be re- swallowing liquid when she puts her head down. crop is very small, one day it was full of fluid and when i PICKED HER UP THE PRESSURE OF ME HOLDING HER CAUSED FLUID TO COME OUT OF HER MOUTH. sorry about caps lock. anyway, I drained her crop by holding her upside downand alot of liquid came out. it has been very hot lately, her comb was a bit pale, but that seems better. Today she seems better, but still not herself, crop is small, but when she put her head down she is swallowing back fluid again. no bad smells, poop seems ok, have not seem her in the nesting box lately, but does not fell like an egg is in there, she seems warm. any advice would be great

I recently had a sour crop issue, although my hen had a HUGE fluid-filled crop (but she's also broody...).

The advice I got was to massage the crop several times a day, feed her yoghurt (maybe mixed with some crumble) and put a few Tblsp. apple cider vinegar in her water. Mine is getting better slowly doing all three of these things. You might want to check her poop to make sure there are no worms in it.
Good luck. Hope your bird feels better soon!

Back
Top Bottom