Crop issues

velizhanna

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2022
New Mexico, USA
Hello All,

I got a Wyandotte chicken, just under 1 year old that seems to be having some crop issue. I noticed that her crop was really bulging out, so thinking that it's sour crop or impacted crop I isolated her in a crate inside the coop with just water and have been giving her some yogurt for the last three days.
I can't figure out what's wrong though!
She seems to be acting just fine - her comb&wattle are nice and red, she's pacing in the crate (as active as the crate allows), seems to have her appetite, looks fine, etc.
She laid an egg the first and second day in isolation, but not today.
So it's just her crop that seems unusual: it doesn't feel hard like it's impacted, but also not super squishy. It does feel a little bit grainy or gritty, if anything. Honestly, it feels like the other chickens' crops at the end of the day, but hers is like that all the time, despite being on a liquid diet for the last couple of days.
When she poops - it's mostly clear liquid, with a little bit of greenish poop that looks a bit like grains of rice.

I tried giving her garlic water for the first two days, thinking that it was sour crop (though there's no sour smell from her mouth).
Then I tried giving her two teaspoons of coconut oil, and I have been massaging it a couple of times throughout the day all along.
And I have been giving her yogurt twice a day since the beginning.

I'm at a loss. I don't know how much longer I can keep her on this liquid diet. But letting her out with a full crop will probably exacerbate it?
Any advice on what to do?

Thanks a lot in advance! This forum has been most helpful so far!

How is your hen? I have a Marans rooster who has a similar problem but I can't decide if it's sour crop or just over eating.

How is your hen? I have a Marans rooster who has a similar problem but I can't decide if it's sour crop or just over eating.
She seems to be just fine.
I ended up giving her another coconut oil treatment and an epsom salt flush, neither of which did much for her crop. At that point I decided that I will just let her back out - I kept her confined for another day so I could slowly reintroduce food and then I let her out with the flock. It’s been several days since then and she seems fine! To be clear - her crop is still the same - big and somewhat squishy, but she doesn’t seem bothered by that.

She seems to be just fine.
I ended up giving her another coconut oil treatment and an epsom salt flush, neither of which did much for her crop. At that point I decided that I will just let her back out - I kept her confined for another day so I could slowly reintroduce food and then I let her out with the flock. It’s been several days since then and she seems fine! To be clear - her crop is still the same - big and somewhat squishy, but she doesn’t seem bothered by that.
Interesting. My rooster doesn't seem bothered by his crop either but he has awful stinky, dark, watery diarrhea. I am trying vinegar in the water and "Rooster Booster" probiotics.

Back
Top Bottom