Crop keeps refilling after surgery!

Yes, I thought about the yogurt suggestion that's commonly given for post-op diets. I figured it's meant to replace good bacteria. Unfortunately, the yogurt I was feeding her was the "dead" stuff from the normal grocery store. The health food store will be open on Tuesday - I'll get some then!
And I'll look for watermelon at the local store tomorrow. Thank you!

Yes, I thought about the yogurt suggestion that's commonly given for post-op diets. I figured it's meant to replace good bacteria. Unfortunately, the yogurt I was feeding her was the "dead" stuff from the normal grocery store. The health food store will be open on Tuesday - I'll get some then!
And I'll look for watermelon at the local store tomorrow. Thank you!
If you have an Aldi nearby their organic whole milk yogurt is good, most European brands will be good too, but they're pricey. I can't remember if chobani is good...

OMG - I guess 8-10 mL of food is too much for her meals - the hole has grown again, and food if oozing right out as she eats it! Thank goodness she's only had a few meals today because we got up so late. This next day and a half before the vet office opens again is going to be Rough! I don't even know what he can do next! 😢

I initially wondered if there might be a tumor that is causing problems, so I had XRays done a few days before surgery. But 2 different Vets looked at the three views, and no one saw anything noteworthy other than an enormous crop filled with rocks and what looked like dirt. Also, her energy, appetite, stool output, and personality didn't bring up any red flags. But I wonder if there might be something anyway? That wasn't seen?

Or maybe it's possible we just need to find a way to keep her crop closed enough to withstand the overfilling until her gut flora gets back on track? Even though she had that surgery on 1 May, I discovered and worked on that impaction starting in March. And as fluffy as she is, who knows when it started?

I initially wondered if there might be a tumor that is causing problems, so I had XRays done a few days before surgery. But 2 different Vets looked at the three views, and no one saw anything noteworthy other than an enormous crop filled with rocks and what looked like dirt. Also, her energy, appetite, stool output, and personality didn't bring up any red flags. But I wonder if there might be something anyway? That wasn't seen?

Or maybe it's possible we just need to find a way to keep her crop closed enough to withstand the overfilling until her gut flora gets back on track? Even though she had that surgery on 1 May, I discovered and worked on that impaction starting in March. And as fluffy as she is, who knows when it started?
My gut that she should be on a liquid diet, high nutrient with small doses. Yogurt, watermelon, nutri drench. Perhaps a molasses flush as well?

Back
Top Bottom