crop not emptying! (FIRST time chicken owner/amateur!)

jamie_santi1234

Hatching
Jun 28, 2023
I have a 9 week old black sex linked hen who developed a large, boggy crop about a week ago. I have taken her to the vet, who gave me some mash and an anti-inflammatory but nothing else. the crop is not hard or lumpy, it is squishy and gurgles when massaged.
I have her isolated and am giving mash with a lot of water mixed in. I massage the crop and can feel some undigested stringy and lumpy food. two days ago when I picked her up she had some yellow/tan liquid coming out of her mouth so I tipped her head downward and massaged until more liquid and some undigested straw and sprouted barley came out.
(the straw was placed in the run by a well meaning relative and has since all been removed).

the crop is still not fully emptying, but at times it seems slightly smaller, and she has diarrhea now (watery green) with very scant amount of bloody mucous. I can still feel undigested material (food or grit or straw) at the bottom of the crop when massaged but I am not sure if I should try to purge the crop again until empty? she is vigorously hungry and eats the mash that I give her (offering a small bowl twice a day), I am not sure if I should be continuing mash or other feed or giving her only water? I am giving grit in addition to water with nutria-drench. any guidance would be appreciated.
THANKS!

Attachments

• 20230628_213852.jpg
    20230628_213852.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Does it smell? If it's sour crop give her monistat 7 day cream. Let her eat a 1/4 ml twice a day for 3 days. Not the anti itch. Withhold food for 1 day, give fresh water. The bloody stool could be a sign of something else and I would suggest a stool sample to the vet before giving any medications for that.

Back
Top Bottom