Crop or something else?

iPeanut1990

Chirping
5 Years
May 7, 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hi! My RIR hen has a tennis ball sized lump on her chest. I thought it was her crop so I shrugged it off but it's been there since Wednesday (that was the first day I noticed anyway). It hasn't gone down since then that I've noticed. They did get a bunch of left over salad from thanksgiving on Wednesday. I noticed it that night. That's why I assumed it was her crop. But like I said it hasn't gone down. How do I determine a crop problem from something else? I'll post pix but it's hard to see. I only noticed because she turned her head and had a big lump on the opposite side. She seems to be acting normally. She was enthusiastic about getting her scratch tonight like she always is.

Last edited:
Looks like your checking it at night.The crop is full at night and should be empty in the morning.Is it hard?

It's sort of squishy I guess. Firm Is the best word I suppose. But it's not hard. I'm just concerned because it's been the same size for a couple days now.

It was the same size this morning before I gave them their food as it is now. Really hoping it's better tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Thats not good.Sounds like a possible crop infection or something clogging up the intestinal tract.Breath smell?

The best you can do for right now is give her Sav-A-Chick probiotics for digestive health.

Two different crop problems are

Sour Crop

Impacted crop

I typed up (chicken crop full in morning) all it show is Sour crop and Impacted crop i already debunked those symptoms with your chicken.Tell me how her crop feels tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom