Crop problem? (pic included)

I am currently dealing with a bird that has a pendulous crop. My bird's crop feels loose and baggy, but also won't empty in a timely manner. If your bird's crop is emptying then you have no worries.

I'm having trouble differentiating the 2 pictures, in terms of a sagging crop. Not to insult your experience with chickens..........but are you talking about the stuff right under her beak? That's the only thing that looks a little different to me in the pictures.
Please don't worm her for no good reason. Its very hard on them.
I just want to be sure we're talking about the same anatomical location. A sagging crop would be half-way down the abdomen.
Please forgive me if I'm insulting your intelligence!

I'm having trouble differentiating the 2 pictures, in terms of a sagging crop. Not to insult your experience with chickens..........but are you talking about the stuff right under her beak? That's the only thing that looks a little different to me in the pictures.
Please don't worm her for no good reason. Its very hard on them.
I just want to be sure we're talking about the same anatomical location. A sagging crop would be half-way down the abdomen.
Please forgive me if I'm insulting your intelligence!

Haha, no insult taken.

Yes, I mean that part just under her beak which looks more fluffy in the first picture (outdoors) than in the second (indoors).

I have seen a few pictures of the pendulous crop, which some say looks like a uniboob. She definitely doesn't look like that, as you can see.

I tried to capture her this morning to check her crop to ensure it was empty and they all gave me a hard time. I did get a good grip on her at one point and felt that she does have some meat on her, and isn't boney.

At this point I won't worry, but do still wonder if anyone else's birds' faces change with the seasons or with age. Maybe that question is better suited for a different forum topic. If I get any more information on her symptoms I'll update.

I think what you're talking about isn't even the crop. Its just the "chin". I've noticed that a couple of my easter-eggers tend to have them hanging more than the other breeds. I wouldn't worry about it.

i dont think you have crop one of my hens had crop and she was chucking her head to each side, you could really see that something was stuck, luckily i had a book on chicken problems and had just read about crop the night before, if it isn't crop you can still try this. Its really easy- catch the hen take her out of the pen so the others hens dont eat the yuck, tip her up side down, holding onto her legs all this runny mucous stuff should run, rub the crop and throat gently to let the mucous all come out out keep doing this until no more mucous comes out(may take a couple days), only do it for short periods at a time as it is extremely uncomfortable for the hen and she finds it hard to breathe. After no more mucous stuff come out feed her a pre-biotic yoghurt (i fed it to her with her layer pellets) this just help clear the crop out. If you tip you hen upside down and no sign of any thing coming out put her down then a while later do it again just to check and if nothing still comes out then she doesn't have crop.

I think what you're talking about isn't even the crop. Its just the "chin". I've noticed that a couple of my easter-eggers tend to have them hanging more than the other breeds. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh good! Since she has no other symptoms, I think you're right. And I'm glad to know about your experience with your own birds, too. Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom