1. westfallmadison

westfallmadison Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Circleville, Ohio
    the crop on one of our hens is so big that when she walks her feet rub against it. The bottom of her crop is rubbed raw and it looks likes its causing her pain. We were thinking that if something didnt hapen we would have to cull her but we really dont want to do that since shes so sweet. I was recently online looking for things that could possibly help and found a website called hensaver and they have things calle bird bras and it says it would help with crop problems. We ordered one and our now just waiting to get it in the mail, has any one used one of these before if so I would like to know if you thought it worked. Or if anyone has any thoughts about what might help please let me know.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They also call them crop bras, and I've read of people using them.

Does her crop empty overnight? If not you might want to check the FAQ page for links to threads about crop problems.

3. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    If there is a blockage the food could be rotting. It depends on if it is squishy or hard. I finally found a soft plastic tipped syringe at an emergency vet who would sell just a supply item without seeing the animal. It was $3. I shortened the tip and put olive oil down the crop and massaged the blockage. It took about a week of belly massage several times a day to get it moving. I couldn't find a very good reference to go off so I suggest trying to find more info yourself. I read that the blockage could cause death but I kept mine separate to make sure he still could go potty. Also you can add oil to oatmeal and feed soft food only, along with apple cider vinegar water. I had to resort to mixing it in if I didn't have someone to help hold the little squirmer to do the oil syringe. When looking in the mouth, the breathe hole is first, food hole farther down the throat. The syringe passes the airway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by