Crop Problems - pendulous crop? or not...

TariOronar

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
We have a Dark Cornish that is just over a year. I've known for a while that something was wrong with her, but I couldn't figure out what. Her crop was very distended and swung as she walked/ran, and she has a bald spot on it where it rubs the ground when she sits down. Yesterday I noticed she was doing particularly poorly. She would only walk a few steps, and then sit down and forage while sitting. She was panting the whole time, but wouldn't drink any water. The other hens have been bullying her so she has a bald spot on the back of her head as well where they keep pecking her. We decided that we were going to cull her since she was obviously doing so badly and we didn't know what was wrong. Last night I can across some pictures of hens with pendulous crop which looked exactly like my hen. Then this morning when we got her to cull her, her crop was empty and normal looking. Since according to what I read, that doesn't happen with pendulous crop, now we really have no idea what's wrong. We've put her in the chicken tractor for now, away from the rest of the flock - don't want to cull her unless somethings actually wrong. Any ideas what's wrong with her?

Back
Top Bottom