Crop question not seen in other conversations

ASchreffler

Chirping
May 15, 2021
Marianna, Fl
Hello! So I have a 10 week old golden comet that we noticed had a large crop. Note this bird is huge like double the size of the other hens (granted they are barred rocks, idk if there is that big of a size difference?) anyways, her crop was like baseball size and felt super squishy. I read previous feeds and made sure to check in the morning and found it did in fact go down. It remained small all day until evening it was protruding again but like 1/4 the size as previous day. But this is the thing, it’s still squishy. Is this sour crop or is thaw just eating a lot and it shows in the evening? She is free range during the day. I put some ACV in the water feeder today and was going to get plain yogurt tomorrow...

Hello! So I have a 10 week old golden comet that we noticed had a large crop. Note this bird is huge like double the size of the other hens (granted they are barred rocks, idk if there is that big of a size difference?) anyways, her crop was like baseball size and felt super squishy. I read previous feeds and made sure to check in the morning and found it did in fact go down. It remained small all day until evening it was protruding again but like 1/4 the size as previous day. But this is the thing, it’s still squishy. Is this sour crop or is thaw just eating a lot and it shows in the evening? She is free range during the day. I put some ACV in the water feeder today and was going to get plain yogurt tomorrow...
Can you post some photos of her and the others too.

I would re-check her crop again in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.
IF not empty after she's had a full night's sleep with no access to food/water, then determine which treatment you need to go with (as described in the article linked below).

Do you provide grit for your birds? If you don't, I recommend that you do even though they are ranging. They may find suitable grit while foraging, but for me, I like to provide it anyway.

A crop should be full at the end of the day. It could be a bit squishy depending on what's been consumed and how much water the bird has been drinking when you happen to feel of it. This is why you feel the crop in the mornings when the crop should have emptied overnight.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Can you post some photos of her and the others too.

I would re-check her crop again in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.
IF not empty after she's had a full night's sleep with no access to food/water, then determine which treatment you need to go with (as described in the article linked below).

Do you provide grit for your birds? If you don't, I recommend that you do even though they are ranging. They may find suitable grit while foraging, but for me, I like to provide it anyway.

A crop should be full at the end of the day. It could be a bit squishy depending on what's been consumed and how much water the bird has been drinking when you happen to feel of it. This is why you feel the crop in the mornings when the crop should have emptied overnight.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I didn’t get a picture of it full... it was too dark for it to show on my camera (flash doesn’t work). This is the fourth day now, she wakes up fine as shown in pictures and then it bulges in the evenings. The only thing that alarmed me was that it is squishy... I’ll add some grit thank you for the advice. Her poop

Sorry the app glitched and posted before I was done. Her poop looks normal and she isn’t oozing from the mouth. Maybe she’s just a pig? Photos are her in the morning

Attachments

• 1CC3D245-F964-4366-83ED-FD8C9583333F.jpeg
    1CC3D245-F964-4366-83ED-FD8C9583333F.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 5
  • E5481857-C190-4DE8-9F8F-AB93230C1E84.jpeg
    E5481857-C190-4DE8-9F8F-AB93230C1E84.jpeg
    712.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 0D8AFF98-30E0-44AE-B433-BBFC1D648C68.jpeg
    0D8AFF98-30E0-44AE-B433-BBFC1D648C68.jpeg
    944.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 553C6851-C2D5-4ED9-B73D-290114237C54.jpeg
    553C6851-C2D5-4ED9-B73D-290114237C54.jpeg
    999 KB · Views: 6
This is the fourth day now, she wakes up fine as shown in pictures and then it bulges in the evenings. The only thing that alarmed me was that it is squishy...

Since it's going down every night, I think it is probably fine.

I think chicken food + water = squishy, but I don't know if you and I mean the same thing by "squishy."

Have you felt any of your other chickens' crops?
That can be a good way to tell what is normal. If all the chickens seem healthy, and if all the crops feel similar in the evening, then this one is just eating a lot, and there is no need to worry about her crop.

10 week old golden comet

I didn’t get a picture of it full... it was too dark for it to show on my camera (flash doesn’t work). This is the fourth day now, she wakes up fine as shown in pictures and then it bulges in the evenings. The only thing that alarmed me was that it is squishy... I’ll add some grit thank you for the advice.
OK so the crop is empty in the mornings? If you are feeling of the crop at night, then it should be full. Firmness would be determined water and feed content, so a little squishy at night but emptying by morning is fine.

Where did these birds come from? For some reason I don't think that's a Golden Comet. Built more like a meat type bird to me, but sometimes you can end up with a largish hatchery laying hens. Look at those legs!

OK so the crop is empty in the mornings? If you are feeling of the crop at night, then it should be full. Firmness would be determined water and feed content, so a little squishy at night but emptying by morning is fine.

Where did these birds come from? For some reason I don't think that's a Golden Comet. Built more like a meat type bird to me, but sometimes you can end up with a largish hatchery laying hens. Look at those legs!
Got them from rural king and they were the hardest batch of chicks I’ve had. Two died... one has a scissor beak... she is massive she would step on top of her feet when she walked for the longest time. She was a very hefty chick to begin with.

Since it's going down every night, I think it is probably fine.

I think chicken food + water = squishy, but I don't know if you and I mean the same thing by "squishy."

Have you felt any of your other chickens' crops?
That can be a good way to tell what is normal. If all the chickens seem healthy, and if all the crops feel similar in the evening, then this one is just eating a lot, and there is no need to worry about her crop.
It was squishy like she had a huge water balloon hanging off her chest. But last night she didn’t and every morning she’s been fine 🤷🏻‍♀️. The other chickens crops are former than hers was. But she seems healthy otherwise. I was worried it was the beginning of sour crop.

Back
Top Bottom