Crop Surgery Performed - More pics & How To Steps posted - Pg 10

This is a great thread and im sorry to all of you that have lost hens doing this. I just hope that I never have to do this myself.

This post helped us save our chicken's life. Thank you SO much for the instructions and photos! I'm not sure what to feed her while she's recovering--any tips?

I buy my sutures and scalpels at Tractor Supply or on Ebay. Also the vet tape. I'm making up a list of supplies I need to have on hand for emergencies and will be having a chicken first aid kit ready. Does anyone know of a print copy of first aid for chickens?

I just did this surgery this morning on a 7 month old Silkie/Araucana pullet. The ball of straw was huge, the size of a softball :-/ She'd had it for about a week but a little bit of food was still getting through as some of her poop was reasonably normal, although small amounts. I had this same problem 2 yrs ago with straw and the pullet managed to pass it on her own after the vet irrigated it and charged me $200. (the 1st vet just said to take her home and feed her grit and alfalfa). This time I felt a bit more comfortable doing the surgery myself. I watched the videos and read a lot about it although I didn't see this particular thread until tonight.
My girl seems to be doing well. I scrambled her a small egg and mashed it up with water-egg soup. I sutured the crop itself with regular thread (non-absorbable) and used 3M tissue adhesive for the skin. My one concern is the probability of having to make a small skin incision in a week or so to remove the sutures. Has anyone ever left non-absorbable sutures in?
I made the incision vertically at the top of the crop. There was no bad smell at all, just like wet straw. So I'm hopeful. My daughter filmed the entire procedure for me but my husband said it would probably offend a lot of people who aren't used to that sort of thing.
Speckledhen, you seem to have had bad luck with crop issues. I do believe your outcomes would have been different if they were straightforward cases of crop impaction. I'm sorry for your losses and the losses of others. I'm still praying for my girl. She sure wants to eat but I'm afraid to give her anything more but water til morning.
PS the huge puddle of water is from flushing her crop with saline, the brown pile is the straw I pulled out.

I'm sorry. It sure seems like you've been having a tough run at your place lately. It's still where I'd want to live if I was a chicken, I don't think I've read of anywhere else that has as much knowledge and quality of care that you give to your birds. I hope things get better soon. /img/smilies/hugs.gif

I'm sorry for your loss speckled hen :goodpost:
I'm bumping this thread as it can potentially save a lot of chickens lives! If you suspect you chick has sour crop and you have done everything you could and your last resort is surgery, then this is the thread for you!

:goodpost:

Last edited:
i have a good question . don't you have to give them medicine to put them out before cutting on them ? yikes . hope i never have to do this to one of my girls , but will if i have to

Earlier in the thread, it was stated that putting the chicken out was unnecessary. You would only need to keep the bird still by putting a rag over its face.

She looks like my sick hen, bit not sure if it's a crop problem. She's not eaten in 5 days, lethargic, green diarrhea. I've given her olive oil, Epsom salt and water, and yogurt. Nothing seems to be working. Should I try an antibiotic? Please help.
Pertilote

Back
Top Bottom