Crop Surgery Performed - More pics & How To Steps posted - Pg 10

Quote:
Not a dumb question at all. In fact, I didn't do anything. She was already bare like that. I don't know if it was because she's molting or had gotten in such poor health and/or because the crop was so swollen and the skin so stretched. I'm guessing a little of all of the above. So I didn't have to do anything. Just cleaned her with Betadine and decided to make the incision in a high spot on the crop where it was already bare.

WOW! This is dejavu! (sp?) Anyway, you know what I meant!
wink.png

Seriously, Monique, I've seen those pictures, and read about YOU performing this crop surgery before it ever happened! How weird is that??? You are my hero gal! We're so much alike. I would have LOVED to have become a vet. Unfortunately, life had other plans, so I read, and learn all I can to treat my own animals. Haven't done surgery on anyone, yet.
wink.png
I've been trying to find sutures in our feed stores, but no one carries them anymore. Last store the owner said most don't have the stomach to treat their own animals, so he stopped carrying them. My horse vet 'might' would sell me some, I'll have to ask her. I know the dog/cat wouldn't, but I'm going to ask anyway! I know he'll sell me the supplies to treat an animal that he's seen, but I"m doubting he'll sell them to me otherwise. Even though he knows I'm a nurse, and can do IVs, and injections, he still won't give me them unless he sees the animal first, and then says "Yup, you're right. Here's the saline, and tubing" Sends me on my way with a $200+ bill.
roll.png

Anyway, sorry for rambling....

How's the patient?? She's suppose to be up and fine from what I remember reading before.
big_smile.png

BTW, are these the chickens you just bought the whole flock? If so, sounds like the dear owners really had just gotten too old, and in over their heads. Tis best that you have them now!

Hugs, and enjoy your posts!

You have given me the inspiration to try anything. I work in Emergency Medicine, but on the business side and just this am asked one of our Drs. to teach me how to suture. I told him about my chickens and that I needed to be prepared and he said he had all the supplies and even fake skin to practice on. This forum has so many talented and knowledgable people. Who needs vet school
smile.png

Wow - impressive job and thanks for the pics. By way of explaination, a picture is worth a 1000 words. I sure hope I never have to do that to one of my hens, although I guess we all do what we have to do when needed. You should add Dr. to your title.
smile.png

Thanks all - patient, who I think I will name "Patience" is alive and well and roaming around my house pooping everywhere (which is a good sign). I figure she needs the exercise and socialization and I need motivation to clean the house anyway. I'm forever unpacking boxes from our ever on-going move from Covington a year and half ago. Every time I think I've gotten the house in shape, here DH comes with more boxes of "junk". So.....as long as the house looks like a disaster zone, what's a chicken walking around going to hurt? She looks into everything, checks out everything, and has a great appetite.

I do not want to hijack the thread but would like to post a picture of Chloe - Jeaucamom's crop surgery bird - I happily adopted her last Wednesday. Here she is almost two years later (camera shy):

DSC_0442.jpg

And here is a picture of the egg she laid me this morning (an egg a day since Wednesday):

DSC_0457.jpg

Ruth - I am so very glad that Patience is feeling better and know that she is happy you found her.

Quote:
Thanks for posting. I'm so glad Chloe is still alive and well and has found a loving home. Gives hope to all, especially Patience.

Thanks to all who have posted and those that have sent PMs and well wishes for our patient, Patience. To update everyone:

Patience was put back with her flock a few days ago. The first thing she did was run to the dirt hole and start wallowing and rolling in it, kicking up dirt, and generally behaving like a pig, or rather a chicken. Today she's as good as new and seems quite happy. I'm sure she's still telling everyone in the chicken world about her week in the "big house" where she got to walk around at will and check out everything and all about the crazy lady that went around and cleaned up her giant poop piles a hundred times a day.

I'm telling you, once that girl started pooping again, she did not stop - she pooped with every step she took. Guess she was making up for lost time.

Back
Top Bottom