Crop Yeast Infection/increasing body condition

Animalian

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Australia
I welcome any ideas from anyone who has had a bird with a yeast infection in their crop. Or helped a severely malnourished bird gain weight.

I have a cockatiel who was treated with antibiotics for two months for a respiratory infection. He has recovered from that now but about a month into the treatment he started throwing up, vet tested and found he had developed a yeast infection in his crop due to the antibiotics. So he's been on anti-yeast meds too.

Yesterday he finally got the all clear to get off the evil antibiotics, so now we are just combating the yeast infection. He's so thin that you can see the tendons in his feet! All he does is eat, vomit, eat, vomit, I medicate, half the time he vomits. He also seems to **guzzle water (like twice as much he's normally drink in a day in one sitting!!) then immediatly throw up.

This is what I'm doing

I take away his food and water overnight,
He has small bowls at 'head height' so he doesn't have to bend over to feed out of them (noticed vomit just pour out before when he bends down)

In the morning I offer him yakult (a probiotic drink) to drink, I have seen people give this or natural yogurt to day old parrot chicks to give their intestinal flora a 'kick start'.
I fill his food bowl, and almost 1/4 fill his water with added vitamins
I refill and disinfect (boiling water) his bowls 3 times a day because he vomits in them.
I give him some parrot handrearing formula in the afternoon because he is a seed junkie and seems to keep the 'liquid food' down a bit better, it's also to **make up for me restricting his liquids (by restricting I give him a little more than what he would normally-healthily drink in a day, it's ridiculous how much he vomits when he has free choice with water)
At night, just before I cover him, I give him his dose of anti-yeast meds. Doing it at night seems to make him keep it down better, or longer anyway.

He is in good spirits (when not vomiting or just vomited) still bothers to preen himself, do tricks, scream hello at me and scream at me for treats (which he ain't getting!). He's a little fighter and I want to do all i can to help him. So any advice is greatly aappreciated

Last edited:
Awwww! Poor baby! I hope your little buddy gets well soon. I have been dealing with many species of birds for years;pets as well as wild....incubateing, hand rearing, breeding. Sour crop is inevitable when working with the avian species as I have learned the hard way my self. Ok, here is a site that has mucho info for you. I hope it helps your little one to get on the road of recovery and quick. The info applies to adult birds as well.

http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/sour-and-slow-crop-remedies.html

I'm also weighing him

this morning he was 82grams

at night he was 90

I think I'll try the alka seltzer, bit worried about the aspirin in it though...

Last edited:
this morning I re-arranged his routine to try and go by the website advise. Tried emptying his crop first thing before feeding/giving drink. I was sucessfull and it was full of mucus which he normally throws up with the food immediately after eating. I then medicated him, let him sit half an hour, then offered him the alka seltzer mix to drink (which he did) let him sit another half hour then offered him his food.

Must have worked because he's eaten a lot and kept it all down for the past 4hrs!

Thanks so much for offering that website
big_smile.png

To certain special people, animals become like our children and important creatures in our lives.......I have
no idea what I would do without all my avian compadres!
hu.gif

I am so very glad I could help. I hope your little guy keeps improving!

woo! he kept his food down all day, threw up a teeny TINY bit a few minutes ago, but it was only mucus, so that can be excused. He lasted all day! by his weight he's had 12g of food today! Yay!
wee.gif

You're very right about that! I'm an only child so my 'older' pets are more like siblings weirdly enough, I was 'raised with them'. Like he and my 13yr old dog are more like my brothers, my new 1yr old dog is more like my kid. Pebbles (the cockatiel) is the only older pet who will come with me through the 'big changes in my life' that are about to happen. I got him while I was an awkward, sad, confused 15yr old. Used to spill my lonely heart out to him, thank goodness he never learn't to talk or he'd tell everyone my secrets
roll.png

Now I'm 23 and engaged, about to move out, going to start a new job, all of which are big scary changes to me! It will be nice to still have him as a constant.

this is him, obviously he normally looks better than this...
sicklani.jpg

Quote:
Poor thing....Im so happy for you and the little guy. Did you know, that with excess and prolonged vomiting, as it applies to any animal that is capable of vomiting, including us humans of course, it can deplete those with hyperemesis, of calcium in the bones and can cause osteoperosis. If he can handle it....suppliment his food with oyster shell in a seperate dish. Just an FYI.

I used to have at least 21 breeding pair cocketiels of various colors, same amount of Budgies and countless finches all at once at one time! I have found that the white faced cocketiel is superior in intelligence and vocalization compared to other color variations for some reason) I bred and hand reared various domesticated and wild. Altricial birds, even orphaned wild birds of which i would successfully reintegrate and release back into the wild. It can be a very difficult and time consumeing task, the smaller the species, the more difficult, such as finches. I have done this since I was a small child, sneaking wild eggs and baby birds into the house, lol! I sucked at it as a child and had many heartbreakes, but it significantly helped me learn from my MANY mistakes. Now, I am 32 and considered a pro with the Avian life. I love EVERY minute of it!

he's so fussy he won't touch oyster shell. He's still munching on his cuttlebone and there is calcium in the vitamin water. I'm also putting him outside in direct sun with the cage half covered so he can have shade if he wants. But get all his vitamin D needed to absorb the calcium. Apparently vitD is good for keeping their spirits up too, and he is always a little perkier after.

I got him to vomit the mucus up again this morning, and he has kept his food down again today so far. He's already eaten 13g and the days not even over, and he's screaming at me to feed him some pasta
smile.png
they certainly do like the vocalise, and I found him very quick when teaching him tricks, only too one or two mistakes and he had it!

I work in the conservation industry and am always trying to wiggle my way into a job at birds australia! Spending all day counting birds, tagging, scaring off people who will destroy their habitat. It would be great! I'm especially interested in the Helmeted Honey Eaters program

This is for anyone doing a search on this subject because there is a lack of info. on the topic. I have been through it all for "2" Yrs. with Chickens!!! A lot of Heartache,$$$ Spent on Drugs,suppliments, & trial & error. I usually end up with a long page of info. but this time i'm only going to tell you things you can try. These ALL Work but depending on size of mass/location in the Crop you may have to resort to what I did in the end. I DO have a Medical Background & I spent BIG $$ on Vet Visits,Itraconazole,Fluconazole,Probiotiocs,Medistatin,ON & ON. My Objective is to save you the Grief I suffered!
SIGNS/SYMPTOMS: These vary but TO START Gently feel your Birds Crop. It typically will be squishy almost like it has slime in it. The Mass usually Hides in the Bottom Right Corner(Facing Bird) OR Along the Right Side. MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE TOP RIGHT CORNER. You Will Feel a Swollen Bump. YOU MAY ALSO Find a "MOBILE" HARD Lump. To Confirm its Mobile you can actually start moving it up to the top part of the crop. I Tried Tipping on 1 that had this & it DOESN'T Work & Only Stresses the Bird. STRESS IS REALLY BAD WHEN YOU HAVE CROP FUNGUS-YEAST. The other signs are "Regurgitating Food",Slimy mouth(check with clean pinky is best),Head snapping,Mucus on cracks-opening of beak/sometimes coming out of nostrils espec. if they try drinking,& YOU MAY SEE Blue in the Comb!!! Distended Belly & a Lack of Breast Muscle(Fungus eats their food & as it passes through the intestine it causes stress/abdominal distress). Last you should see a Lot of White slime in Fecal & Sometimes may have a tint of Orange. Feather Loss/Dandruff like condition is also present.
CROP FUNGUS IS CONTAGIOUS BETWEEN BIRDS DUE TO REGURGITATION & INTERACTION WITH PECKING. IF YOU HAVE MULTIPLES PREPARE TO BATTLE.

WHEN YOU START TREATING YOU MAY SEE BLUE IN THE COMB BECAUSE THE AMT. OF YEAST PASSING WILL CAUSE DISTRESS. YOU WILL SEE PEOPLE SWEAR BY APPLE CIDER VINEGAR WATER. THE PROBLEM I EXPERIENCED WITH THIS IS MINE WOULDN'T DRINK IT! THIS IS GREAT FOR STRICTLY INTESTINAL YEAST BUT THESE LUMPS IN THE CROP SUCK UP THE WATER & THERE ISN'T ENOUGH ACID ON THE RECOMMENDED MIX RATIO BUT DON'T DISCOUNT THE VINEGAR BECAUSE I DID USE IT BUT HAD TO USE A 50/50 MIX OF DISTILLED WHITE VINEGAR/BRAGGS APPLE CIDER VIA A SYRINGE. WE WILL GET THERE IN A MINUTE.

ANOTHER PRODUCT I HAD SUCCESS WITH IS "SOLGAR BRAND CAPRYLLIC ACID TABLETS" THIS BRAND SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE IT LACKS A LOT OF ADDITIVES. THE MAGNESIUM CAUSES SOME ADDITIONAL STOMACH DISTRESS BECAUSE "FOR MY SITUATION" THERE WAS JUST TOO MUCH FUNGUS TRYING TO PASS AT ONCE. IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY THIS YOU CAN FIND IT TYPICALLY AT SPROUTS(WHOLE FOODS). SHAVE OFF SOME OF THE THIN EXTERIOR COATING & NO MORE THAN 1/4 TAB MORN./EVE. I READ THIS PERSON HAD CRUSHED & MIXED WITH MOIST FOOD HOWEVER THIS WAS ON A CHIC & CHICS HAVE SMALL CROPS & THE MASS WAS PROBABLY PRETTY DARN SMALL. MINE PREFERRED IT IN CHUNKS & I NOTICED MY ONE HEN WOULD WANT IT 3XS A DAY WHICH WAS ALMOST A WHOLE PILL. MY LUMPS WERE BIGGER & ABOUT THE SIZE OF A DIME & UP TO A NICKEL(AT FIRST).
FOR HENS WEIGHING 4-7 LBS. YOU CAN USE "1/4 OF CVS BRAND 200MG. IBUPROFIN "TABLET"(THESE WILL BE A ROUND SHAPE ON THE BOX PICTURE). I STATE THIS BRAND SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE "MANY" HAVE TOO MANY ADDITIVES LIKE STARCHES,WAX,ETC.
YEAST NEEDS 3 MAIN COMPONENTS TO KEEP LIVING: WATER,CARBS. WHICH IS IN THE "SUGAR" CATEGORY LIKE STARCH. BEFORE YOU CUT THE PILL INTO 4'S TAKE A DAMP PAPER TOWEL & WIPE OFF THE EXTERIOR REDISH-BROWN COATING(A LOT OF THE EXTRAS ARE IN THE COATING).

MY BIRDS ATE IT WILLINGLY BUT IT DOES CAUSE A BIT OF BURN(I ALWAYS TRY IT MYSELF ON THE TONGUE SO I KNOW). THE BEST WAY BUT ITS HARD TO GET ACCESS DURING THE WINTER IS "SEMI RIPE BLACKBERRIES"(WHERE YOU STILL SEE SOME RED" YOU CAN ALSO USE ONES THAT ARE 50-70% RED BY FREEZING THEM FOR 48-72 HRS.(THEY SOFTEN UP A BIT). I TAKE A SHARP POINTED KNIFE & MALE A SLIT TO PUSH THE PILL IN. TAKE A NIP OF THE BERRY IF IT MAKES YOU PUCKER A BIT YOUR GOOD TO GO. THE IBUPROFEN HELPS KEEP THE REGURGITATION DOWN SO THEY DON'T CHOKE & ALSO KEEPS THE STRESS DOWN!!!! THIS CAN BE GIVEN MORN./EVE.
HERE IS WHERE YOU THINK I MIGHT BE CRAZY BUT IT WORKS!!!! TAKE A SYRINGE & DRAW UP A 50/50 MIX OF WHITE VINEGAR/BRAGGS APPLE CIDER & INJECT THE BERRY IN A FEW PLACES WITH IT. i HOLD THE BERRY BETWEEN 2 FINGERS SO I CAN FEEL IT BLOWING UP INSIDE.
THE REASON WHY THIS WORKS GREAT IS FOR SEVERAL REASONS! LACKS SUGAR & PROVIDES NUTRIENTS LIKE VITAMIN C(ANTIOXIDANT),CONTAINS ALSO SALCYLLIC ACID ON TOP OF THE VINEGAR ACID(NATURES NATURAL ANTI-FUNGAL),& LAST WHEN SWALLOWED IT SITS IN THE CROP FOR A WHILE LIKE A MEDICATED BULLET!!!

FOOD: GET YOURSELF SOME SAFFLOWER SEED ONLY!!!! NO LAYER PELLET,CORN,OYSTER SHELL,ETC.(READ UP). IT HELPS LOWER BLOOD SUGAR & SODIUM.(OYSTER SHELL IS BAD THE SALT HELPS THE MASS SUCK UP WATER). NO VITAMINS WITH ELECTROLYTES & I DON'T SUGGEST TO USE THEM BECAUSE THERE MAY BE AN INTERACTION WITH VINEGAR!!!
WHAT I DO IS I TAKE MY NEEDLESS SYRINGE & SQUEEZE OUT SOME ONTO THE SAFFLOWER & MIX IT WELL!!!. I LET IT SEMI-DRY"IN THE BEGINNING" & FEED THEM SEPARATELY(YES ITS A PAIN IN THE BUTT BUT IT WILL MOVE THINGS ALONG QUICKER). I WAIT TILL THEY ARE ON THE ROOST & JUST DUMP IT IN MY HAND & FEED. I KEEP SOME ALCOHOL NEAR BY TO CLEAN MY HAND BETWEEN BIRDS IN THE BEGINNING BUT AFTER ABOUT A WEEK AS THE SLIME STARTS TO DWINDLE & THEY AREN'T REGURGITATING THEN ITS NOT NECESSARY THE VINEGAR KILLS OFF ENOUGH AT THAT POINT.
NOW I START TO ADD A BIT MORE VINEGAR. THE SEED IS ACTUALLY STILL WET WHEN THEY EAT IT. THEY BUILD A TOLERANCE TO THE BURN. YOU MUSTY HAVE PATIENCE & BUILD UP.
WITH MY WORST HEN I TAKE THIS 50/50 "STRAIGHT" VINEGAR MIX,PUT HER ON A CHAIR & GENTLY OPEN THE BEAK. I SQUIRT IN JUST A COUPLE MILLILITER LINES WORTH. IN THE MORNING/AFTERNOON. I AL;SO OFFER HER SOME SAFFLOWER COATED SEED BUT I NOTICED SHE STARTED REFRAINING FROM THE SEED AFTERWARDS. HER OBJECTIVE IS TO MELT-KILL THE FUNGUS & NOT HAVE TOO MUCH SEED IN THE WAY. YOU MAY NEED TO IN A SENSE BURP YOUR CHICKEN!!! WHEN THE ACID HITS IT CAUSES THE YEAST TO EXPLODE IN A SENSE & PUTS OFF THE GAS. THIS CAUSES REGURGITATION. I GIVE A LITTLE VINEGAR & THEN PRESS MY THUMB GENTLY DOWNWARD OR THE GAS WILL EXPEL WHEN YOU "GENTLY" MASSAGE THE CROP BRIEFLY!!! I HAVE ALSO AFTER ADMINISTERING TO PROMPTLY PLACE MY THUMB/POINTER ON EACH SIDE OF THE EMPTY CROP ALREADY APPLYING JUST A BIT OF PRESSURE SO IT DOESN'T GIVE THE CROP A CHANCE TO GET TOO BLOATED RIGHT FROM THE START. AGAIN START LIGHTLY SO YOU DON'T EXPEL TOO MUCH AIR AT ONCE BECAUSE THE AIR WILL ALSO PUSH THE VINEGAR BACK UP. YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE THE MASS GETS COATED & WHEN ITS IN THE CORNER LIKE THAT IT'S NECESSARY TO GENTLY MASSAGE BRIEFLY. YOU WILL GET THE HANG OF IT & DEVELOP YOUR OWN TECHNIQUE JUST DON'T SQUEEZE HARD/ABRUPT. IF VINEGAR GETS INTO THE AIRWAY START COAXING THE THROAT IN A DOWNWARD FASHION. AS LONG AS THEY ARE COUGHING THAT IS GOOD. THEY MAY SOUND HOARSE FOR A FEW MINUTES . YOU CAN OFFER A SMALL AMT. OF DRY SAFFLOWER SEED. I NOTICED WHEN THIS HAPPENED WITH MINE SHE ATE A SMALL AMT. TO WASH IT BACK DOWN INTO THE CROP. THIS IS WHY PATIENCE & BEING GENTLE IS A MUST. FOR THE RECORD IT WAS MY CHICKEN THAT TAUGHT ME ABOUT THE SEMI RIPE BLACKBERRY!!!! I HAD TRIED A BUNCH OF SUGGESTED VEGI'S & ALL MADE THINGS WORSE. I JUST HAPPENED TO HAVE A SMALL BERRY PATCH IN MY DRIVE WAY & SEEN HER GRABBING THESE. SHE THREW DOWN THE RIPE ONES!!! I HAD TO GO OUT & PICK THEM ELSEWHERE. IN THE BEGINNING THEY WOULD EAT 5-6 EACH IN A SETTING! I HAD TO CUT THEM BACK DUE TO AVAILABILITY & THIS IS WHEN I STARTED PUTTING THE VINEGAR ON THE SEED. I WOULD INJECT THEM A LITTLE & FREEZE THEM IN WAX PAPER SO I DIDN'T HAVE TOO MANY IN THE FRIG AT ONCE. I ALSO WOULD SPRITZ MY FRIG. STOCK WITH VINEGAR & I ALSO LAID A PAPER TOWEL UNDER THE BERRIES WHICH I SATURATED WITH THE VINEGAR COMBO. I ALSO TRY TO INJECT ALL OF THEM AT LEAST 24HRS PRIOR TO GIVING SO IT SOAKS THE VINEGAR UP. IF THEY ARE TOO BIG I JUST GENTLY CUT THEM IN HALF WITH A SHARP KNIFE(YOU DON'T WANT THEM MASHED!)

NOTE: IF YOUR BIRD IS OLDER YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED TO MAKE SHIFT A CROP BRA!!! YEP,WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE MINE FROM THE START. I NOTICED HER CROP SAGGED TOO MUCH IN THE MIDDLE & "IN SHORT" YOU NEED TO ALLEVIATE SOME OF THE DIP & RAISE THE CROP SO ITS MORE ROUNDED. ALSO BY LIFTING YOU LINE UP WITH THE CROP OUTLET BETTER SO THE SLIME WORKS ITS WAY OUT QUICKER.
I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO BE TOUGH TO KEEP SHORT.
I WELCOME ANYONE TO EMAIL ME WITH YOUR "SPECIFIC" SITUATION SO I CAN HELP GUIDE YOU & HELP YOU MAKE THE DARN CROP BRA IF NEED BE. THE CROTCH OF A MANS UNDERWEAR OR A LARGE WOMAN'S UNDERWEAR WORKS GREAT BUT YOU WILL NEED TO KEEP CERTAIN PARTS OF THE MATERIAL INTACT SO YOU CAN TIE IT AROUND THE NECK/UNDER THE WINGS.SO YOU CAN "TRY" TO GET A VISUAL YOU WOULD BE USING THE CROTCH SIDEWAYS FOR THE BRA. IF YOUR ARTISTIC & LOOK UP A CROP BRA PICTURE YOU "MAY" BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY. YES YOU WILL NEED TO DO SOME STITCHING BY HAND. I WILL STOP THERE BUT FEEL FREE TO WRITE. I'M NOT GOING TO LIE I HAVE BEEN AT THIS FOR 5 WEEKS WITH THIS METHOD. MY ROOSTER'S BUMP IS 99% GONE & HE'S WAITING ON THE HEN TO CLEAR UP. EVEN THOUGH HERS IS THE SIZE OF A BEAN NOW HE STILL GETS TRACES OF IT SO HE IS STILL ON THE VINEGAR SEED(NO STRAIGHT VINEGAR) & I HAVE CUT BOTH OF THEIR DOSES DOWN ON THE IBUPROFEN TO JUST IN THE EVE & THEY ONLY GET 1/2 OF THAT 1/4 SLICE DOSE NOW.(SO HALF A DOSE). I EVEN HAD 2 HENS PUT DOWN HUMANELY & NECROPSY DONE BUT EVEN "UCD POULTRY DIVISION" WAS ONLY GIVING ME SECONDARY ISSUES WHICH WAS CAUSED BY THE FUNGUS" THE VET STATED SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL ME BECAUSE IF THE DRUGS DIDN'T WORK THEN IT COULDN'T BE FUNGAL(PER THE CULTURES) YEP IT WAS FUNGUS & SOMETIMES THE NATURAL CURES WORK MUCH BETTER!!! DO WHAT YOU WANT BUT DON'T USE YOGURT. IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRY ANY PRO'S THEN TRY "GREEN VALLEY LACTOSE FREE ORGANIC KIEFER" BIRDS ARE LACTOSE INTOLERANT & LACTOSE CONVERTS TO SUGAR. PER VOLUME THIS PRODUCT ONLY HAS "7 GRAMS"OF SUGAR PER CUP WHERE AS YOGURT HAS SO MUCH MORE!!! I WOULDN'T USE MORE THAN A TABLESPOON PER BIRD A DAY. I HAD THE BEST RESULTS WITH THIS BUT IT NEVER KICKED IT SO I HAD TO RESORT TO VINEGAR/SAFFLOWER/BLACKBERRIES!!!

NOTE: IF YOU FIND A "MOBILE" HARD OBJECT IN THE CROP THIS CAN MAKE THINGS MORE DIFFICULT. IF THE LUMP DOESN'T CONTINUE TO GET SMALLER WITH THE VINEGAR THEN YOU MAY NEED TO RESORT TO A SMALL INCISION/SUPER GLUE. I FOUND A GOOD VIDEO ON YOU TUBE & WISH I WOULD HAVE FOUND IT MUCH SOONER. I LOST MY 13YO HEN BECAUSE THE VET ARGUED WITH ME & STATED THIS WASN'T MOBILE & WAS JUST A SWOLLEN SPOT IN THE CROP WALL FROM THE FUNGUS. WHAT HAD HAPPENED WAS IT GOT COATED WITH CROP WALL TISSUE/FUNGUS. DUE TO HER LOW LYING CROP SHE COULDN'T EVER PASS IT. I HAD TRIED ALL THE DRUGS AT THIS POINT BUT HADN'T LEARNED ABOUT THE SAFFLOWER/STRAIGHT VINEGAR. THEY WILL TRY TO START STARVING IT OUT & UTILIZING THE YEAST AS ENERGY. SHE PROBABLY COULD HAVE BEAT IT IF I COULD HAVE REMOVED THIS MUCH SOONER SO IT DIDN'T CONTINUE TO FEED THE PROBLEM. IN THE END I REMOVED IT SO I KNEW THE TRUTH.
GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom