Cross beak chick

Schwarzhen

Hatching
Mar 5, 2022
My chick Kennedy has cross beak. I think it’s probably pretty bad. Her head looks a bit dented too. I’ve had the chicks for 8 days. I noticed this at about 3 days and seems to be getting worse. She’s slightly smaller than her sisters. But seems to be healthy and energetic. How bad is this? Should I cull this chick? I won’t be able to care for a special needs chicken. Could this chicken possibly get old enough to make it to my dinner table?

Attachments

• FD14B060-94B2-4FA0-B1FB-10021DD7D3D0.jpeg
    FD14B060-94B2-4FA0-B1FB-10021DD7D3D0.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 43
Poor thing. This case looks pretty bad, and if you don’t have the time to care for her, I would cull- now, not later.

That is pretty bad. The beak of my cross beak didn't start crossing until 3 weeks and got worse as he got older. By 4 months, he was starting to lose weight instead of gaining weight, so we culled him. If I had to do it over again, I would have culled as soon as we noticed his beak. If you do keep her, make sure to weigh her frequently to make sure she is getting enough to eat.

One of my Silkies looked just like yours at that age and it started around the same time as your little one started showing signs. As she got older, it got worse. Most cross beak hens will have laying/reproductive issues later on down the road so that's something to also take into consideration if shes a female. I chose not to cull mine and devoted a great amount of time making sure she could eat properly, drink, get grit, oster shell, so on and so forth. I modified feed bowls and waterers for her to use because she was not able to use the standard chicken nipples or anything of that sort. I had to make her feed a mash consistency so she could pick it up easier. I did weekly weight checks to make sure she was maintaining a healthy weight. She ended up passing last May after a brief illness, she was 2 years old. Surprisingly, cross beak chickens can live a pretty normal/productive life, if cared for properly. Mine never had to be separated from the flock or anything too "special" besides monitoring food intake and whatnot. I did have to file/trim her beak periodically because she wasn't able to keep it filed down like a normal chicken is able to. Other than that, she walked around and mingled, roosted, and interacted with the other chickens just like she was a normal chicken. Their personality is unmatched and they tend to be the most sweetest, loving birds toward their owners/caregivers. They're just so appreciative of the love and care you give them.

One of my Silkies looked just like yours at that age and it started around the same time as your little one started showing signs. As she got older, it got worse. Most cross beak hens will have laying/reproductive issues later on down the road so that's something to also take into consideration if shes a female. I chose not to cull mine and devoted a great amount of time making sure she could eat properly, drink, get grit, oster shell, so on and so forth. I modified feed bowls and waterers for her to use because she was not able to use the standard chicken nipples or anything of that sort. I had to make her feed a mash consistency so she could pick it up easier. I did weekly weight checks to make sure she was maintaining a healthy weight. She ended up passing last May after a brief illness, she was 2 years old. Surprisingly, cross beak chickens can live a pretty normal/productive life, if cared for properly. Mine never had to be separated from the flock or anything too "special" besides monitoring food intake and whatnot. I did have to file/trim her beak periodically because she wasn't able to keep it filed down like a normal chicken is able to. Other than that, she walked around and mingled, roosted, and interacted with the other chickens just like she was a normal chicken. Their personality is unmatched and they tend to be the most sweetest, loving birds toward their owners/caregivers. They're just so appreciative of the love and care you give them.
That’s great you were able to care for her without too much difficulty. How often did you have to trim her beak? I heard every 3 days to a week.

That’s great you were able to care for her without too much difficulty. How often did you have to trim her beak? I heard every 3 days to a week.

Approx every 4 to 5 months depending on growth. It's just like filing fingernails. It's super easy and only takes a couple mins. Mine would just sit there without having to be wrapped in a towel or anything. I used a Demel tool on low speed only. I started having to do it at approx 6 months of age. She would actually fall asleep/doze off in my lap the entire time. I would turn the demel on approx 15-20 seconds prior to approaching her beak with it so the noise of the tool wouldn't startle her as much. I used fine to medium grit sanding bands only.

Back
Top Bottom