Cross beak chick.

Pics

GingerRose

Free Ranging
Apr 1, 2022
Alpine, Alabama
I have read many of the posts about cross beak.
I do understand 100% the importance of keeping one from breeding stock. I understand the devotion it takes to raise one (hopefully) to have a healthy and happy life. I understand its not fair to any chick with cross beak to not get the nourishment it needs.
I have a cross beak chick that hatched (incubator) on July 22nd this year.
It is a Silkie x Satin cross.
I cant determine the gender of course, too young. I have not seen a photo of a chick or adult chicken with as severe cross beak than mine. Im sure one is here somewhere, I just havent found one.
I want to post some photos of it. I do NOT want any bashing of my decision to NOT cull this chick..... If I notice its weight starting to not keep up, I will see what my options are at that time. I am very aware I possibly may have to.
I, personally, cant just cull it as long as its thriving, growing and not getting left out or bullied.
I may regret all of this but I pray it can survive and be healthy and happy.
I dont have a normal job, like most. I am an artist and my studio is on our property, next to our home.
I do as I please and I make pretty decent money for what I call "work". My husband has his own business of 32 years and has no plans to stop anytime soon.
I'm almost 52 years old, a mom, grandmomma, wife, fighter, artist, anything I need to be, I am
I have all the time, finances, compassion, determination, stubbornness and patience to do whatever is necessary for this little chick.
I swear, if I could raise this baby and it be healthy and happy, I would do anything for it, no matter the cost.
However, I do not want it to suffer in any way, what-so-ever. I would be absolutely devastated if I knew I was doing wrong by wanting this chick to live....
I am currently feeding it mush starter, making sure its getting enough to drink, grit and calcium, I'm pulping grass and herbs (anything chicks can eat that grows on our property) insects, fruits, veggies, blooms, whatever i know it can have.. I devote an hour to foraging every day, just for this chick. I actually enjoy it very much.
This chick is not the smallest of the group. Its actually normal in size. There are 2 or 3 smaller chicks. I weigh it on a digital food scale every morning and afternoon.
I have filed its beak a tiny, little bit every day, only to get it used to me having to do it.
It does not try to struggle when I get it out of the pen.
It runs up to the door, when it sees me coming. It does not want to stay with me when im done, it wants to get right back with its siblings and its (surrogate) momma.
I make sure its crop is filling and emptying like it should. I try my best to watch for its poop a few times a day.
It gets vitamins, proteins, fruits, veggies, grass, weeds, seeds and insects. It gets out of the coop when the others do. I allow them out for a few hours every day, while I watch them.
I am so torn on what to do.
I am a nutrurer, a giver, a worker, stubborn and I love my animals more than I LIKE most of the folk I know.
I cant help wanting this chick to grow up and LIVE.
I am so emotional over this tiny little life.
I made a post a few days after this group of chicks hatched from our incubator.
It was a horrible experience that lasted around 31 hours.
Due to 2 incorrectly calibrated hygrometers, my humidity was too low throughout the whole 21 days. Long story short, the chicks that survived, deserve a chance to live.
Now, I will NEVER incubate my own chicks ever again.
It was THAT bad.
I dont know what my true reason for this whole post is, actually...
I guess just to get this off my chest..
If anyone is interested, i would post some photos of my chick.
I have named it PICASSO.
And I love Picasso very much. I am already much too attached to it and I cry when I think about it possibly suffering one day.
I had no idea that cross beak could occur from the humidity being so low. Had I known how much heartbreak I would go through, I would have not opened all those eggs.
....but I did.
Out of 32 eggs, 20 chicks survived. All of the eggs had fully developed chicks inside. The eggs were truly shrink wrapped and I removed every chick as carefully and quickly as I could.
I did break 3 veins and those 3 chicks died, of course. There were 5 chicks with a single splayed leg.
There were 2 with both legs splayed.
There was 2 that suffocated before I could get them out of their egg.
The remaining chicks seemed healthy until 3 weeks old.
I picked these chicks up every morning to make sure they were still okay.
One morning, I found the cross beak..
I immediately started researching...

I am only doing what I feel I should do for Picasso.
Yall dont be too hard on me about this.
I do want to hear your thoughts, opinions and even (kind) scolding will be taken into consideration.

Yall help me do the right thing for this chick. Please.

Here is my little Picasso.
The photo where i am holding it, just finished feeding and cleaned up. Thats why it is wet.
I do dry Picasso off very well before i put it back.
Picassos beak was lightly clipped after the photo was taken. I am very careful not to clip too close..
VideoCapture_20220907-170124.jpg
VideoCapture_20220907-170103.jpg
VideoCapture_20220908-131012.jpg

Well, I can tell ya from experience they can thrive and do just fine! I will try and get a pick of my little silkie hen Elvis she is a feisty little 2 yr old hen who has lived just fine with her cross beak now it does take some effort on my part about every 2 mths she gets a nice beak trim since as you know it wont wear down like it should but she doesn't seem to mind and gets right back to her little chicken life once the trim is done. She keeps a good weight and is happy and she is a very feisty little thing! She is the smallest in my flock and the only silkie hen. I tried to add more silkies by letting her hatch some purchased eggs and I ended up with a bunch of roosters LOL so much for adding hens! I kept one little guy because he is good at warning of danger side note Elvis does not like him so at some point I'm going to have to try to get some more silkie hens (the big girls are not impressed with him lol! I got a batch of silkie chicks from a feed store their shipment was late so I think that compromised the chicks Elvis was my only survivor. I started having the farm vet trim her beak when they came out for the other animals but as I learned how it was done I now feel confident doing it myself. You are smart you are doing this from a very young age which will allow you to keep it filed down, the vet also told me a Dremel tool can be used to trim it down I have been using dog nail trimmers which work great. Good Luck and enjoy your sweet little cross beak! Thank you for giving it a chance! I love mine and she is the sweetest hen and often comes up to get some attention even my husband is attached to her (she sure new who to win over LOL she greets him everyday when he comes home from work!

Well, I can tell ya from experience they can thrive and do just fine! I will try and get a pick of my little silkie hen Elvis she is a feisty little 2 yr old hen who has lived just fine with her cross beak now it does take some effort on my part about every 2 mths she gets a nice beak trim since as you know it wont wear down like it should but she doesn't seem to mind and gets right back to her little chicken life once the trim is done. She keeps a good weight and is happy and she is a very feisty little thing! She is the smallest in my flock and the only silkie hen. I tried to add more silkies by letting her hatch some purchased eggs and I ended up with a bunch of roosters LOL so much for adding hens! I kept one little guy because he is good at warning of danger side note Elvis does not like him so at some point I'm going to have to try to get some more silkie hens (the big girls are not impressed with him lol! I got a batch of silkie chicks from a feed store their shipment was late so I think that compromised the chicks Elvis was my only survivor. I started having the farm vet trim her beak when they came out for the other animals but as I learned how it was done I now feel confident doing it myself. You are smart you are doing this from a very young age which will allow you to keep it filed down, the vet also told me a Dremel tool can be used to trim it down I have been using dog nail trimmers which work great. Good Luck and enjoy your sweet little cross beak! Thank you for giving it a chance! I love mine and she is the sweetest hen and often comes up to get some attention even my husband is attached to her (she sure new who to win over LOL she greets him everyday when he comes home from work!
I have such hope for Picasso. I want to keep it with me at all times, the whole time I am giving it care, it will snuggle in my hands, move over to my elbow and settle down, peeps so softly and will look at me, almost an affectionate stare.. Picasso seems to appreciate my care and for 10-20 minutes after we are done, it is happy being with me.. not much longer and i can tell its ready to get back to the family. Im happy to put it back knowing I did my best, full, hydrated and clean.
Your story helps my fear and stress level go down a little.
I really want what is best for Picasso..
I have to set aside my feelings and think of this little one..
Thank you for sharing Elvis story. I would love to see her photos.

Please post pictures of Elvis!

Back
Top Bottom