? cross-beak & debeaking ?

Quote:
If anyone needs help with tube feeding or wants info I'd be happy to help. Tube feeding is VERY easy so do not be daunted.

@ Nimby Chickens: Yes please! A tube feeding tutorial would be immensely helpful!

Quote:
I think tube feeding is going to be the only way your girls really do well, robinwiththechickens. Those crossbeaks are pretty bad. Lindsay might benefit from a de-beaking, but that is questionable. And Britney isn't going to be helped at all.

@ CMV: Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it!

I let them eat directly out of the scratch bucket yesterday and they both filled their crops for the first time since they came to live with me last week! They seem to do better with scratch than with crumbles, I assume because it is smaller. ? I tried making wet mash by adding water to the crumbles, but they didn't show much interest in that. I also made them some cream-of-wheat which they seemed to like, but I think they ended up wearing more than they ate. Can I just let them eat scratch all the time, or is that like letting a kid eat nothing but candy?

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Scratch is no good as a long-term solution, but the reason they did so well with that is likely because of the deep dish/bucket. Crossbeaks do best with deep feed and water dishes that they can scoop feed and water out of. You can make an oatmeal mash mixed with crumbles that may help. Make it as clumpy and sticky as possible in hopes of getting more inside them than outside. I still think that tube feeding is going to be the way you have to go. If you have the time to keep them nourished they can have a good life despite this.

I have been giving them crumbles out of a coffee can that I keep full for them. So, if it is a deep dish they need that should be deep enough right? I'm not sure why they did so well on the scratch yesterday. Maybe they are picky in addition to everything else?
hu.gif
They hammer away at the crumbles all day and their crops still feel pretty empty at roost time, but with the scratch they were full in about 30 minutes and were actually able to step away from the feeder and be chickens for awhile.

I will certainly try thick oatmeal w/crumbles and also plain greek-style yogurt as this is already a flock favorite and should be thick enough for the cross-beakers right?

Any other good, easy to eat treats for cross-beakers?

Thanks!

I would be happy to make one. I'll have time to do it this weekend and I'll get my fiancee to help. :)

I was actually thinking of making a huge crossbeak 'breed' page to help people out since it is such a common problem. Something like that would probably be useful.

I would be happy to make one. I'll have time to do it this weekend and I'll get my fiancee to help. :)

I was actually thinking of making a huge crossbeak 'breed' page to help people out since it is such a common problem. Something like that would probably be useful.

It would be incredibly useful. Thanks so much!

I used to be a dog groomer and had the nails to contend with. It was really hard not to cut the quick on dogs with black nails. I had no idea there would be blood source to the end of the beak! My oldest girl (going on 7 this year
big_smile.png
!) has a beak that gets crossed for a while and then it gets shorter. I figured she must grate it off on the dirt etc. She is doing ok (obviously if she is almost 7) But I cringe every time I dont see her right away when I go out. I suppose the time will come for her but not today!
should I trim her lower beak (and any others when the condition comes to light) or just leave it be unless they cant eat?
Its -20 here today. Im sure glad I dont have to be outside!
looking forward to spring
justachick

Have been reading on here lately about debeaking... horrible practice! And have also been reading about cross-beak problems.

Could a horrible practice be the solution to a horrible deformity? If debeaked beaks don't grow back could this practice be used to cut off the ends of cross beaks and help to achieve a more normal beak configuration? I don't know what debeaking practices consist of, but obviously the bird can live through it... so... what do you think? Can something good come of this?

I have neither a debeaked bird or a cross-beak one... so I'm just thinking?

Thoughts?!?
I
Have been reading on here lately about debeaking... horrible practice! And have also been reading about cross-beak problems.

Could a horrible practice be the solution to a horrible deformity? If debeaked beaks don't grow back could this practice be used to cut off the ends of cross beaks and help to achieve a more normal beak configuration? I don't know what debeaking practices consist of, but obviously the bird can live through it... so... what do you think? Can something good come of this?

I have neither a debeaked bird or a cross-beak one... so I'm just thinking?

Thoughts?!?
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had this done. If it could be done under sedation. I understand it would be painful, but watching a cross beak trying to eat is hard. If they had quality of life after, it’s surely worth it. I’ve seen countless de beaked hen sold from egg farms, and they look fine.

I'm doing some old-post-necromancy here, but I'm curious if anyone has tried debeaking a crossbeak chickie. I'm not for the process in general, much like I wouldn't agree with amputating a person's arm to keep them from punching you, but it's different if it saves a life or improved QOL for the chickie.

My little one's break is getting worse and I'm just looking for options. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom