Cross beak in trouble- breathing heavy. Have tetracycline....UPDATE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by libbyhan, Jun 26, 2010.

1. libbyhan

libbyhan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    We have a bantam with a terrible cross beak- really bad. She's been holding her own, however, and we have young kids that would like to avoid culling this chick. She's been eating well and is actually bigger than the other bantam chick we have. I think that she's 3.5 weeks old. Feathered nicely. Pretty cochin, we think.

In the last few days, her eye has been getting stuck shut. We've been wiping it with a warm cloth to open it. We've had to do that maybe 4 times over the last 3 days.

Tonight, she seems to be taking deep breathes. Labored breathing, I guess. She's eating and nice and warm. I'm not sure that she's going to make it, but I want to give her a good shot. Mainly because I only have one other bantam chick and she FREAKS out if she can't see the cross beak. Our other chicks are 10 and 13 weeks- these bantams can't mix with them yet. The store is out of chicks and I don't know what we'd do with this lone chick?

Cross beak was eating very well this afternoon. She drank water in front of me and chased an ant like crazy. That being said, I don't think that I am imagining the breathing now. Could it be possible that she's on the way out?

I have tetracycline from the feed store. It's made by Durvet. Should I give it to her? If so, how and how much? I will research while hoping for a response.

The other chick is healthy as a horse and has not had any eye issues.
    Thank you!

Just updated to add that I got the dose for the meds and gave her some. I didn't want to treat the other chick, so I gave the cross beak some with a dropper. The cross beak makes that really easy, actually- like a bowl! I did it slowly and one drop at a time so that she didn't breathe it in. She was not stressed by this and ate and drank as soon as I put her back in the brooder. She's got HUGE feathered feet and is a slow mover, compared to the other chick.

The other bantam was FRANTIC while her friend was getting meds. UGH. I don't know what we'd do with her if she loses her buddy.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by