1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Cross-Beak" What should I expect?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Back2MyRoots, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    My husband and I were doing a nightly check of our spring chicklets when he noticed that one of our araucana pullets has a slightly off-set beak. The beak touches all the way down, but the bottom seems to pull just to the left a bit. The chick is only a week old. My questions are (1) What can I expect to happen from here forward? and (2) Catching it so early, is there ANYTHING that can be done to help? Thanks in advance for your help. The only information I can find is of very severe cases in older birds. Not much at all to be found on very young chicks.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've had a goodly number of chicks with cross beak. I actually had one that made it to maturity.... but it never laid.

If you can see it this early, it will only get worse.

I suggest culling. It's the humane thing to do.

3. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    The feed store the chick came from said they will exchange. I know it's the easy way out, but I won't have to put the little lady down myself and I will get to replace the chick at no charge. The reasonable side of me knows this is the best thing to do. The marsh mellow in me is throwing a fit.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by