Cross Breed Chick

mrsfarmgirl

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 6, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Ok I have 4 buff orphington hens,5 RIR hens,1 araucana rooster and 1 RIR rooster. Now my question is my baby chick dont know if this is a female or male. Also dont know what baby chick is crossed with.I have placed a picture here. Thanks for anyones help.

Hi Mrsfarmgirl and
welcome-byc.gif

Its really hard to tell the answer to your question as the little chick is partly hidden from view by his/her hatchmate.

I am going to make a bold guess and say this one is a little roo based on the legs seem really thick and heavy and the feathers are coming in slowly over the wing bows. This is just a wild guess, mind you, but that's what my gut says.

On my screen, it seems like the legs are more white than yellow so based on that I am going to guess that the hen is an Orpington as they have white legs and that is dominant. I am also going to guess the roo is a RIR because of the color and there are no muffs or beard from the little I can see of the face. If the legs are really yellow, I change my answer to RIR.

It may help to post more photos plus a head shot of the comb and also post the age.

Last edited:

This little chick was hatching out on Christmas and fully out of its shell on the 26th of Dec 2012

Last edited:
This little guy was hatching on Christmas and fully out of its shell on the 26th of Dec 2012

Hi Mrsfarmgirl and
welcome-byc.gif

Its really hard to tell the answer to your question as the little chick is partly hidden from view by his/her hatchmate.

I am going to make a bold guess and say this one is a little roo based on the legs seem really thick and heavy and the feathers are coming in slowly over the wing bows. This is just a wild guess, mind you, but that's what my gut says.

On my screen, it seems like the legs are more white than yellow so based on that I am going to guess that the hen is an Orpington as they have white legs and that is dominant. I am also going to guess the roo is a RIR because of the color and there are no muffs or beard from the little I can see of the face. If the legs are really yellow, I change my answer to RIR.

It may help to post more photos plus a head shot of the comb and also post the age.
My thought process wasn't as detailed, but I also think it's a rir/buff orp mix. I'm not guessing gender yet, that's beyond me!

Back
Top Bottom