Cross Breed Chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrsfarmgirl, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mrsfarmgirl

mrsfarmgirl New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

Ok I have 4 buff orphington hens,5 RIR hens,1 araucana rooster and 1 RIR rooster. Now my question is my baby chick dont know if this is a female or male. Also dont know what baby chick is crossed with.I have placed a picture here. Thanks for anyones help.
    [​IMG]

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi Mrsfarmgirl and [​IMG]

Its really hard to tell the answer to your question as the little chick is partly hidden from view by his/her hatchmate.

I am going to make a bold guess and say this one is a little roo based on the legs seem really thick and heavy and the feathers are coming in slowly over the wing bows. This is just a wild guess, mind you, but that's what my gut says.

On my screen, it seems like the legs are more white than yellow so based on that I am going to guess that the hen is an Orpington as they have white legs and that is dominant. I am also going to guess the roo is a RIR because of the color and there are no muffs or beard from the little I can see of the face. If the legs are really yellow, I change my answer to RIR.

It may help to post more photos plus a head shot of the comb and also post the age.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  3. mrsfarmgirl

mrsfarmgirl New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Thank you!

4. mrsfarmgirl

mrsfarmgirl New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Thanks I will do that.I have placed a couple more photos in/on my profile.

5. mrsfarmgirl

mrsfarmgirl New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This little chick was hatching out on Christmas and fully out of its shell on the 26th of Dec 2012

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. mrsfarmgirl

mrsfarmgirl New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    This little guy was hatching on Christmas and fully out of its shell on the 26th of Dec 2012

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My thought process wasn't as detailed, but I also think it's a rir/buff orp mix. I'm not guessing gender yet, that's beyond me!

8. mrsfarmgirl

mrsfarmgirl New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Thanks ladies and or gents

Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by