Cross breed question sex link?

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
Some of you are so fast with the genetic info. I'm just beginning to learn, really know nothing yet, so maybe someone will know this answer fast vs. me reading for days.

I've crossed a Salmon Faverolle male to what TSC called Asia Blacks females. I speculate that these could be black sex links. All their bins were a bit scrambled.

So out popped 3 chicks this morning. 2 black and 1 pale yellow. Am I looking at a sex linked chick's? Thank you.

Not what's commonly known as black sex links. BSL use the barred gene resulting in barred males and non barred females.
I don't think your chicks are sex links at all.
Not seeing how they would be us

Big color variation made me wonder.
I can't answer your specific question, but I can tell you that Red sex-link roosters are white at maturity. In my experience that same rooster, when bred to a RSL hen, produced a yellow chick, a cockerel, which later turned white. Whether that's consistent or chance I have no clue; thought it may be useful. Supposedly, being hybrids, RSLs do not breed true.

KW is correct in that sex linked birds can not be used to breed more sex linked birds. To breed a sex link, you need a specific feather colored/patterned roo over a specific colored/patterned hen. For some fantastic information and charts of breeding combinations, do a thread search for the "sex linked information" thread. The first post is a power house of information. Perhaps my most frequently visited info sources on BYC.

KW is correct in that sex linked birds can not be used to breed more sex linked birds. To breed a sex link, you need a specific feather colored/patterned roo over a specific colored/patterned hen. For some fantastic information and charts of breeding combinations, do a thread search for the "sex linked information" thread. The first post is a power house of information. Perhaps my most frequently visited info sources on BYC.
I actually read a bunch of that. But just looking for this one thing isn't the best way to take it in. I saw references to faverolle hens but not roosters. It's all very interesting!

It's the rooster that determines the sex link cross. His feather pattern will express in the pullet chicks. So, in your case, if there is no roo on the male side which matches your roo, you are mostly out of luck. For example. To make a black sex link chick I can use ANY roo which is dark colored. I would choose one without any white feathers, so there wouldn't be any surprises. I can then use any barred or cuckoo patterned hen to get black sex linked chicks. My avatar roo (an EE) made wonderful sex links when placed over Dominique or PBR hens. My new roo, a Buck Eye will do the same. Either of those roos, in theory should produce red sex links when placed over SLW or Colombian W.

That makes sense. No disappointment here, I was doing a test hatch in my new incubator so grabbed some eggs. Then I found Cream legbar eggs to add. So it's a fun mix. I think the chicks will have muffs though. Love those puffy cheeks.

So I think I've solved the mystery of the yellow chick from the Salmon fav roo/black sexlink. I think it was actually a barred rock not a sexlink who laid that egg. Still seems odd the chick is yellow.

Back
Top Bottom