Cross breeding Ameraucana with Whiting true blue

HuskerChickMom

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2017
I have some Whiting True Blue hens that I’m thinking of crossing back to an Ameraucana rooster. I’m curious if you all think the chicks will still lay the big blue eggs or will they have too much Ameraucana in them and not enough leghorn. I originally planned to breed them to my WTB rooster, but a predator got him a few days ago.

I typically get a size between in egg sizes when I breed birds, for example, a bantam to a standard gives me 3/4 size birds and eggs.

Having said that, I don't think you'll lose a lot of size in the eggs. Leghorns lay profusely large eggs. Ameraucana are decent layers of decent sized eggs...I'd guess may be a "large" rather than the leghorn "extra large."

Also as hens age, their eggs become less frequent but larger.

I'd say go for it, hybrid vigor and all. I doubt you'll lose that much in egg size.

Lofmc

I have some Whiting True Blue hens that I’m thinking of crossing back to an Ameraucana rooster. I’m curious if you all think the chicks will still lay the big blue eggs or will they have too much Ameraucana in them and not enough leghorn. I originally planned to breed them to my WTB rooster, but a predator got him a few days ago.
I see this is an old post but did you do it? How did it go?

I am crossing like this with a super colorful WTB and a splash Ameraucana that lays nice sized blue eggs and really well. The cross got me a cockerel that is gorgeous with a beard and muff. Keeping him. About to hatch some more to try for females. I also crossed the WTB with Marans and Olive eggers and got some wild colored roosters. I mean BEAUTIFUL. But the pullets have been getting killed by dogs and only one is left. They were all pretty too. I plan to use the rooster I'm keeping to breed some more blue egg layers that are pretty. I guess my own "Americana" line where the eggs stay blue but more colors than the APA standards. Those are too limited IMO. Cream legbars appealed to me but I grew out some and they all looked different and had defects. Decided to get away from that. Tried to get more splash Ameraucanas but breeders were breeding splash to splash and they got pale. These blue egg layer lines need some new blood IMO

Back
Top Bottom