cross breeding/ egg color question

Trixie27FL

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 9, 2011
I bought three EE's about 8 weeks ago and from the looks of it, it's just my luck that I have 2 roosters and 1 pullet. I also have 1 RIR, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Cochin and 4 Leghorns, all girls. My question is, when my two males get older, if I were to hatch a round of eggs from all of my girls, would the results be EE's? If my roosters fertilize the eggs, will I get EE's that lay colored eggs because the roosters are EE's or will I get some strange mutt chicks that still lay brown eggs? Call me crazy, but I'm obsessed with getting colored eggs. I was so excited to get some EE's and now I will only get one colored egg a day : (

Without knowing anything about the parent stock of your chicks or the color egg they came from, it's hard to say what egg colors any pullets they produce would be. EE are sort of a mixed bag of genetics anyway, so even knowing what color egg they hatched from you could still get lots of surprises. Bred to the hens you have, you could get green, blue, brown, or cream colored eggs depending on whether or not either of your boys is carrying any genes for blue or green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom