Cross Breeding For The New and improved.... Join the Group!

I am playing around with naked necks ,mmmmmmmmm that sounds totaly wrong, But any way. I prefer brown eggs and want a bird large enough to go into the freezer. I have hatchery stock but will be ordering a few show birds to keep 2 diffrent lines going.I have my turken male in with australorps and asst, hybrid hens, I also have a nice buckeye roo in the batch, I have a nice leghorn roo I may toss in as well. But I dont want to lose size.
I have a few marans Dominique and a small flock of orpington bantams, A few buff brahma running about. That I wont X
I have been thnking of adding the frizzle gene for fun. But so far nothing towards a new breed.
I have been looking for the perfect breed so far no luck. Never thought of making my own.

Well I quess I'm just lucky. Got 12 chicks now 11 lay blue eggs one a green egg. The rooster I just got. I know where he came from and they know where he came from so he is blue egg gene layer. To make sure I have to hatch chicks and look for the hens to lay the blue egg. Time will tell. Not going to us the green egg hen to hatch just eat her egg, know big deal. All eggs are A large not bad size. Four hens I like the color of them so I'm hoping the silver rooster will put some color in the brown hens. I got some new chicks blue looking that should lay blue eggs but not to sure because I don't know them at all. Will just have to see. Just keep hatching and culling, hatching and culling. Is't that how you do it? So far all are real sweet and I just love the rooster.
I just have to try. My Husband sales eggs all the time. The eggs are going faster then the hens can hatch them out. So thats a blessing.

When my silkie roosters gets old enough then I'm going to hatch out some silkies. They came from three different breeders and three different colors.
ya.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

As I was typing this someone just gave me a lot of chain link fence so I can make my silkie run.
ya.gif
ya.gif

White Faced Black Spanish lay jumbo sized white eggs. I hatched a few of these, and really would like to work on them ...... but, I need to cut back on some of the breeds I have, and I think these will be going.

I like the idea of big dual purpose crosses, too. I wonder if my Jersey Giants would be good in a cross? I will subscribe and follow your thread. I enjoy this topic.

Good luck to you all, and most of all .... have fun ! !

Quote:
I have thought about the white faced black spanish before, how consistant of layer are they? what are the reasons you have decided to cut them from your flock?

Quote:
I have thought about the white faced black spanish before, how consistant of layer are they? what are the reasons you have decided to cut them from your flock?

Mine are still just growing out, so don't know how well they lay. The eggs they hatched from were jumbo white eggs! The only reason I am cutting is due to space .... I have to cut somewhere. I have 10.

Kristian,

“…first question is if you have any of the original leghorns left?” I have none of the original flock.

“… second question is it that the hatchery is trying to pass on a certain gene?” I have no clue.

“… third question is if you have tried to checking around other hatchery's or feed store's around your area for that type of physical characteristic to pass on to your flock?” Rose comb leghorns do not seem to be a popular breed. I have not found any one local who has them.

“…if you dont mind making a hybrid we can check out some other white egg layers with smaller rose combs and more dominant gene in that mater, hopefully not altering the egg size, egg laying amount or any physical feature.” I did have some Hamburg hens, but their eggs, though numerous were on the small side.

Are rose comb leghorns a cross to begin with? Say maybe a cross between brown leghorns and Hamburgs?

Clarence

KatyTheChickenLady,

“Where do you buy from? Is it the same place every time?” Yes I bought from the same place every time, Murray McMurray.

Clarence

Back
Top Bottom