cross breeding leghorns and silkies

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by chickenshiha, Apr 16, 2016.

1. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    i want to do an expirement with my leghorn rooster and silkie chicken breeding them to get a black skin and polished white hen that lays well but go broody often i did the breed not to sure if they can breed true (mabye not) if they dont i dont care nice lair went broody once

2. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  3. englishcockers

englishcockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Morrill Nebraska
    They will not have black skin, but the males will carry for the trait. (It's a sex linked trait, right?) A male from this cross should produce 50% black skinned daughters when bred back to a leghorn hen. (in theory at least, as I understand it) A silkie rooster over leghorn hen produces black skinned daughters and normally pigmented sons, right?
    I think it will take you several generations, a lot of study and culling to get what you are after, but it's not impossible.

4. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015
    Quote:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  5. englishcockers

Mar 3, 2014
    Morrill Nebraska
    Thanks for clarifying this. I had the wrong impression. I'm sure you know what you are talking about....Except that a longhorn is a cow so I don't think you can cross it with a chicken. LOL (autocorrect?)

6. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    so it is impossible or something? as i saw some pictures of leghorn X silkies with black skin... but lets go on about the other traits like laying or broodying please i really dont care ab out the skin color honestly (dont wanna be rude)

7. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    I imagine a long legged hen wearing silk stockings.
    on the serious side, some will likely be good layers and some will go broody, hard to know

8. englishcockers

Mar 3, 2014
    Morrill Nebraska
    I remember a post by Nicalandia where he wrote that he felt that the extreme broodiness had been passed from a Silkie rooster to his half Leghorn daughters. I don't know how to find the old post. Generally he was one of the more knowlegable people regarding genetics. I haven't seen him posting for quite a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by