Cross Breeding Old English Game LF and Bantams

Mine seem to be the opposite. Most predators can’t catch my smaller gamefowl and American game bantams. They’re too light and fast and fly too well. I don’t think any 4 legged predator has ever been successful catching them. Most hawks can’t either. The only hawk that got good at catching them was a particular Sharp Shinned hawk who practiced on them for months. And even then the sharp shinned would make multiple runs on them a day but only successfully kill one adult a month.

My other ideas for possible crosses were -

OEG LF X Leghorns:
I think this could tone down the gameness and keep the predator resistance. My concern is the Leghorn could hurt the broodiness of the cross?

OEG LF X Welsummer:
I know Welsummer are supposed to be good free rangers, but I know they are not as athletic as OEG. My concern is this cross might be less predator resistant?

I'm aware of the fact that I am going to have losses to predators. I know that is inevitable.

My hope is just to get a population going that can somewhat self sustain. I plan on keeping a penned "breeding group" to keep replacements available.
The American Game bantams fall in between the size of Full sized gamefowl and Old English bantams.
I'm aware of the fact that I am going to have losses to predators. I know that is inevitable.

My hope is just to get a population going that can somewhat self sustain. I plan on keeping a penned "breeding group" to keep replacements available.
I don’t know where you are getting your breeding stock from. Other than normal pecking order squabbling. I have hardly had any problems having Old English bantam roosters together. I have also been told that a lot of the gameness has been bred out of the Large Old English Games. So you might not have to separate them. I wish you luck on your endeavor. I am curious to see your fertility rates. My Old English bantams would have a very hard time naturally servicing my full size game hens. It sounds like you are going to start out with similar aged chickens. As you move forward with your held back breeders. Use caution putting a young cock with mature game hens. They will work him over and possibly kill him.

The American Game bantams fall in between the size of Full sized gamefowl and Old English bantams.

I don’t know where you are getting your breeding stock from. Other than normal pecking order squabbling. I have hardly had any problems having Old English bantam roosters together. I have also been told that a lot of the gameness has been bred out of the Large Old English Games. So you might not have to separate them. I wish you luck on your endeavor. I am curious to see your fertility rates. My Old English bantams would have a very hard time naturally servicing my full size game hens. It sounds like you are going to start out with similar aged chickens. As you move forward with your held back breeders. Use caution putting a young cock with mature game hens. They will work him over and possibly kill him.
Just looking at the grow outs tonight (they are all around 8-10 weeks)... it does seem hard to believe the OEG bantam males will have an easy time with the standard size females. They are so much smaller right now (they are a couple weeks younger as well though).

They are all hatchery birds... Large fowl from Cackle and Bantams from Ideal.

If the standard OEG’s are less game and won’t constantly fight to the death as adults... well that would be perfect and exactly what I’m hoping for.

Just looking at the grow outs tonight (they are all around 8-10 weeks)... it does seem hard to believe the OEG bantam males will have an easy time with the standard size females. They are so much smaller right now (they are a couple weeks younger as well though).

They are all hatchery birds... Large fowl from Cackle and Bantams from Ideal.

If the standard OEG’s are less game and won’t constantly fight to the death as adults... well that would be perfect and exactly what I’m hoping for.
I have no personal experience with LF Old English. I do know that I have never seen any on gamefowl sites. When they are mentioned. It is always said that they are runners.

There’s different levels of gaminess too. What bird that may stand and fight to serious injury or death when using their natural spurs may not do so in artificial circumstances. So what old time cockers called a “runner” because it wouldn’t stand for steel gaffs doesn’t mean it wouldn’t constantly fight an opponent in a barnyard setting. Many aseels will run when hit with steel gaffs but will stand and fight forever with their natural spurs. You wouldn’t want to throw several together in the yard.

There’s different levels of gaminess too. What bird that may stand and fight to serious injury or death when using their natural spurs may not do so in artificial circumstances. So what old time cockers called a “runner” because it wouldn’t stand for steel gaffs doesn’t mean it wouldn’t constantly fight an opponent in a barnyard setting. Many aseels will run when hit with steel gaffs but will stand and fight forever with their natural spurs. You wouldn’t want to throw several together in the yard.
I agree with what you are saying. I also looked on Cackles website. Most of the Old English they show are heavy looking, low station birds. With roughed up feathers, usually associated with running in large breeder flocks. Not a rooster running with ten or so hens. Not saying they won’t be aggressive towards each other. Just saying coming from a sizable commercial hatchery. I think Cackles lines are bred more for looks. It would be worth the gamble to see if they get along.

Back
Top Bottom