Cross Breeding Quail?

Sachasmom

Songster
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Upstate NY
I've been looking at a few different kinds of Bob white Quail, I'm wondering if each color is a seperate species, or can I cross colors?
And should colors be crossed?

Are some varieties larger/hardier than others? And do they start to lay as fast as the Cotournix do?

Thanks!

I will try to help, but I am in no means an expert. Bobwhites from what I have read some can interbreed with eachother depending on the temperment of the breed. Bobwhites come in many different colors each can be it's own distinct breed. Most don't interbreed to keep true. I have no idea about the hardy part. No they do not start laying as soon as the coturnix. I have heard that they mature at 16 weeks and can start laying eggs around 20+ weeks. I hope this helps maybe someone will add or can correct me if I am missing out on a fact.

coturnix= the hare
bobs= the tortoise

theoretically all bobs are the same speces, color variations are just genetic mutations--- same with coturnix. there are some sub speces like butlers and georgia giants, wisconsin giants etc...

as far as bobs--- nothing happens fast with them. They are true gamebirds and many will not lay until spring dispite their hatch date. they lay 1 or 2 clutches of eggs a yr -- anywhere form 20-30 or so eggs per hen. Coturnix hens under ideal conditions lay upwards of 300 eggs a yr.

Color mixing? eh cant help ya there-- I never got into that whole mad scientist routine where purple and majenta makes black color mixing stuff. I can tell you my favorite color of bob white is a nice golden brown...
smile.png

Wow, that few eggs? Any strains more prolific?

See, I am clueless, I didn't realize they were laying "clutches" I kept wondering why my Quail would lay a whole bunch of eggs, and then nothing. (Right now, we're in the Nothing stage. Darn things laid all winter, and now that its spring, they won't lay)

I'd like to get two pens of them, so it would be nice if I had two strains I could cross breed instead of having to keep hunting down fresh stock!
hmm.png

Can I do the Bobs in colony style pens, or do I have to pair them up? I tried a colony with the Cotournix, I had to take the extra male out!

Bobs can be done in colonies provided the sex ratio is proper and the colony has alot of space--- They are true gamebirds, not like coturnix which have been domesticated sice jesus was in diapers.... They're still wild at heart and thereby require a great deal of space or there's gonna be blood shed. 1to3 or 4 in colony and as much space as you can give them + 30 more square feet
smile.png

Oh i should clarify the colony thing--- works much better when they are all raised togather. Mixing adult birds has ugly results especially with bobs.

ok i raise gamebirds from quail to pheasant ive been doing it for 15 years i have successfully crossed mexican specaled bobwhite quail with gambel's quail and mex spec with mountain quail the birds are beautiful mex spec can cross with northern bobwhite as well and there even prettier it takes time but it does happen ive crossed coturnix with bobwhite as well it can be done i dont recommend it cause most of the chicks had birth defects but i did get 6 healthy ''bobbing coturnix'' as i call them and i have bred reeves pheasant to chinese ringnecks and the hybrid greesn chinese ringneck to the reeves as well and those birds are absolutly beautiful u can breed just about anything together its the condictions they live in mostly thats pretty much the desideing factor hope this helped u :)

Back
Top Bottom