1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cross Breeding?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by guesswhosechickens, Mar 26, 2011.

1. guesswhosechickens

guesswhosechickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    SW Missouri (Crane)
    Can you cross breed polish crested and silkies and other bantams?

2. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Yep, you sure can.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

You can cross breed pretty much anything chicken. I have thus far hatched out 6 "cobrights" from my friend's flock. They are half bantam birchen cochin & half sebright. They're funny looking but *very* sweet birds and with really strong/tough constitutions. We hatched out the first 2 five weeks ago & hatched out 4 more just yesterday.

Sometimes it's kinda cool if you have a mixed flock or know someone with a mixed flock, and you get all kinds of nifty mixed breed chickens that are really sweet and have good hybrid vigor and lay all kinds of nifty-colored eggs. I'm always hatching out "mystery chicks" ... or as I tell people when I sell them, "Designer" mixed breed chicks. LOL.

4. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Cross-breeding is much better than inbreeding. That way you don't have any deformed chicks! [​IMG]

5. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    anything you breed with a polish more then likely will get a funky looking tophat..not as full as reg. polish. i have alot of cross breds - mutts. some are just beautiful in colors or markings..others look just like a parent. i had bearded polish, now cross bred with cochins & ??? have bearded cochins,3 generations . neat looking. as for eggs..most crossbred lay regular,maybe a medium size egg..but polish are not famous for everyday laying, so you might end up with fewer eggs ??

7. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:What do you mean by "better" ? If everyone only did crossbreeding then there wouldnt be any breeds to cross. Inbreeding does not mean deformed chicks, inbreeding can fix good traits into a line as well as fixing undesirable traits. The key is selection.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    But of course there are the Icelandics...

This one has no Polish blood at all.. His name is Vindur ("wind" in Icelandic)

He is going to be top dog roo in my Icelandic flock.

[​IMG]

BTW...I've got a few Polish X Ameraucana crosses that lay nice blue eggs.... and have crests of one type or another.

9. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some lovely Silkie-X-Ameraucana; all the hens lay blue or mint green eggs:

[​IMG]

10. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    What a cute little fellow he is Mahonri. [​IMG]

All my older chickens are pure breeds but the 16 barnyard mixes I hatched recently are giving me much joy. They are to much fun trying to work out just what they will look like when grown. I even have one or two starting to grow crests. I can't wait to see what they end up looking like. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by