Cross Breeds!!!!

Pics

This little booger is a Buff Rock x Barred Rock. Has some gold coming in between the black and white bars. Probably going to be a rooster.

I wanted to hatch some chicks this spring and sell them at a farmers market in my town. Is it a bad idea to start spreading mixed birds around? I know there's something to be said about pure breeds, but if I breed my best egg layers and hatch them, then tell them that they are mutts and just for egg laying, is that okay?

I wanted to hatch some chicks this spring and sell them at a farmers market in my town. Is it a bad idea to start spreading mixed birds around? I know there's something to be said about pure breeds, but if I breed my best egg layers and hatch them, then tell them that they are mutts and just for egg laying, is that okay?

I see nothing wrong with it, as long as you advertise them as crossbreeds. Maybe you could make a small quarter-page flyer type information sheet to send home with the chicks. Sometimes new chick owners are so excited, I feel like the information I tell them in the moment is in 1 ear out the other. But if they could take home a paper with possible breed cross combinations, then it might make them feel better about their decision. you could also write why you like cross breed muts ("for the best personality and egglaying" or whatever you like) just an idea :)

Dad was Rhode Island Red Mom was Buff Orpington.

You can see his dad in my Avatar...

I have a 20 week old rooster that looks like he might look like this some day.... I thought he was a cross between my Black Copper Marans rooster and a Red Star.. but now am thinking it's a cross with one of my Buff Orpington hens..

Here is patches.... What do you think? is the hen that produced the egg that hatched this boy a Red Star or Buff Orpington (a 3rd option is a Barred Rock, but I don't think so)?

I have a 20 week old rooster that looks like he might look like this some day.... I thought he was a cross between my Black Copper Marans rooster and a Red Star.. but now am thinking it's a cross with one of my Buff Orpington hens.. Here is patches.... What do you think? is the hen that produced the egg that hatched this boy a Red Star or Buff Orpington (a 3rd option is a Barred Rock, but I don't think so)? [/quote] To me it looks like he has too much red in him to be the Buff Orpington. Couple questions to consider is are the Orpington's pure breeds? Are the Red Stars pure also? If there's any crosses before this actual guy then it would be very difficult to accurately ID him. He looks like he will be very good looking Roo tho.

Last edited:
To me it looks like he has too much red in him to be the Buff Orpington. Couple questions to consider is are the Orpington's pure breeds? Are the Red Stars pure also? If there's any crosses before this actual guy then it would be very difficult to accurately ID him. He looks like he will be very good looking Roo tho.

The Buff Orpington's I have are pure breeds (got them from Murray McMurray hatchery) and honestly, I don't know if the red stars are actually Red Stars.. they are my first non-pure breeds I've ever owned.... my husband picked them up from Tractor Supply and he said that they were RIR at first. Then thought maybe they said Production Red... When they were first growing I thought they looked more like Red Stars...

Now that I think about it, perhaps Patches is a cross with the birds above... especially since it has a white earlobe.

The Buff Orpington's I have are pure breeds (got them from Murray McMurray hatchery) and honestly, I don't know if the red stars are actually Red Stars.. they are my first non-pure breeds I've ever owned.... my husband picked them up from Tractor Supply and he said that they were RIR at first. Then thought maybe they said Production Red... When they were first growing I thought they looked more like Red Stars...

Now that I think about it, perhaps Patches is a cross with the birds above... especially since it has a white earlobe.

That could be a possibility.I did not notice the white earlobe. The Red Star chickens as you may know are a cross breed chicken already. Most times the dad will be a RiR or a New Hampshire Red. The moms are different red chicken varieties some hatcheries use Delaware hens or Light Sussex hens. I personally like heritage chickens. That is a term that has been thrown around probably too much but basically means pure strains and not hatchery birds, as the hatcheries are concerned with production... I want to make some more of the crosses I had before they were fantastic egg layers and fertility is outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom