Cross Breeds!!!!

Pics
Thank you Acemario! 
I thought I should post some updates since they are looking like adults now.

BTW: That green speckled egg of yours looks awesome. I intend to "Throw in" some of the blue egg and speckled egg genes in the "mutt mix" in the future, I like how those eggs look! 
Right!? It is by far my favorite egg. I'm hoping to try and breed a few more by mixing my wheaten Ameracauna cross roo with my marans and marans crosses. :)

Here's my latest mix, Light Brahma x BLRW

The backstory on this one is kind of funny. I ordered up some BLRW eggs for the NYD Hatch-along and when going to take photos of the chick that hatched I noticed the feathered feet. What? Turns out the hen had been acquired from a different flock (with the Brahma rooster) and quarantined for six weeks before being turned out into the breeder flock. I got sent her first egg. Apparently that Brahma had really potent stuff! The egg seller was astounded and mortified (and graciously sent me replacement eggs). This chick is named Oops!

coccolo (rhode island red/white, some leghorn blood), brahma accident (bought as pullet, must rename him, not sure if he is pure breed because of his colour) and red cap (rhode island red/white, great layer)

Crestellao what went into the mix of your birds?Curious about the mottled and crested birds.Thanks

Well, technically, my birds wouldn't belong to this thread since they are cross-mutts not cross breeds.

I got my "base flock" by hatching some eggs from a friend that had "free range - self sustaining - self breeding" chickens among his goat farm. There weren't any two birds alike.
Although they were mostly clean legged, non-crested and small in size. Probably as small as it gets without being bantam size (if that makes sense). They came in all colors including cuckoo and mottled.

Along the way I added a 50% Castellana Negra Rooster. (No mottling or crested here) but I believe egg productivity increased.

The crested gene comes from a single bird I hatched from someone else. The following is not my bird but the father: I have no clue if that's even a breed.

Here's the bird I hatched: His mother must have obviously been a large fowl-rose comb hen. His significantly larger that his father.

The son of this guy with a hen from my "base-flock" looked like this (there must have been mottled genes on both sides I guess since it starts to appear):

Next generation rooster:

I like the mottled crested birds so I have traditionally given preference to these for breeding purposes. However most of my birds are heterozygous for the crested gene. Every now and then I get birds that look like this (Which I believe is the homozygous version) :

Well, technically, my birds wouldn't belong to this thread since they are cross-mutts not cross breeds. I got my "base flock" by hatching some eggs from a friend that had "free range - self sustaining - self breeding" chickens among his goat farm. There weren't any two birds alike. Although they were mostly clean legged, non-crested and small in size. Probably as small as it gets without being bantam size (if that makes sense). They came in all colors including cuckoo and mottled. Along the way I added a 50% Castellana Negra Rooster. (No mottling or crested here) but I believe egg productivity increased. The crested gene comes from a single bird I hatched from someone else. The following is not my bird but the father: I have no clue if that's even a breed. Here's the bird I hatched: His mother must have obviously been a large fowl-rose comb hen. His significantly larger that his father. The son of this guy with a hen from my "base-flock" looked like this (there must have been mottled genes on both sides I guess since it starts to appear): Next generation rooster: I like the mottled crested birds so I have traditionally given preference to these for breeding purposes. However most of my birds are heterozygous for the crested gene. Every now and then I get birds that look like this (Which I believe is the homozygous version) :
I love these birds. Crests and mottled too. They would definitely fit in with my Crest Easter Eggers. If only they laid green/blue eggs. I'd love to have hatching eggs.

Here is my Polish/silkie cross,"brownie" I believe to be a pullet:

My other polish cross though I'm not sure what the cross is, cockerel "Chocolate":

They both have beautiful color, unfortunetly my camera is sub par.

Back
Top Bottom