Cross Breeds!!!!

Pics
nice birds. the last black one looks like pullet. if only you have room for chickens you will end up with as many as they fit - just as the rest of us. I wanted 1 rooster and 4-5 hens, now I am around 15 + some chicks for meat, but at least 1 will stay!
I'm going to need help with the chicken math. My coop could easily hold 10 birds on a long-term basis, and we have 2 acres for them to roam. DH doesn't want to keep a rooster, but I'm hoping that one of the laid back black birds decides to wait a long time before it crows so I can convince him of the benefits before that happens. This week or this weekend I'm going to get more chicks from my brother in law and sister in law, so how many should I ask for? We have plenty of places for the eggs (my father eats up to 2 dozen a week).

I'm going to need help with the chicken math. My coop could easily hold 10 birds on a long-term basis, and we have 2 acres for them to roam. DH doesn't want to keep a rooster, but I'm hoping that one of the laid back black birds decides to wait a long time before it crows so I can convince him of the benefits before that happens. This week or this weekend I'm going to get more chicks from my brother in law and sister in law, so how many should I ask for? We have plenty of places for the eggs (my father eats up to 2 dozen a week).

get as many as you can keep. it seems you need them for the eggs and all of you will be happy!

Black Langshan father over a brown egg laying hen ( of my hens that were laying at the time it would have either been a Buckeye, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rock, Black Langshan, Partridge Cochin or a Cherry Egger)

He (or she) doesn't have a name yet, I just refer to it as the calico chick. It's very cute. I haven't seen any other chicks with patches like that so I am not sure how common that is or how it happened or if it will disappear when it gets older?

A couple days old in these two pics

about 3 weeks or so in these

BuckBeak my Blue Orpington, Golden Laced Wyandotte cross rooster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom